It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
 Post subject: New vs used Xbox 360
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, this is a total WANT, not a NEED, but if I were to request an Xbox 360 for the ol' 40th birthday, would you recommend getting the new slim, or just go cheap and get a used old style arcade one.

OK, before you shake your head in despair and ask why I would even consider an old one, here's why:

New one: Shiny shiny! New! Less power! $300! Hard sell to the misses! "But I just got you a PS3 last birthday! What's wrong with that one that I have to spend another $300?!"

Old one: Noisy as hell! RROD! $100! Easy sell on the misses! "It's only $100! All my friends have one!"

Myth debunking:

I can get an old arcade Xbox and install my own hard drive. True or False?

Thanks for advice. As this would be just for me I can probably forego the added expenditure of 2 more controllers, so that's good.

Post subject: Re: New vs used Xbox 360
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:59 pm 

Get an old one, but go with an official HD from MS...have heard of issues when using your own HD

Though, if you can swing it, get a new one from the wife...maybe get one of the new Kinect bundles that are coming.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Console-Kinect/dp/B003O6JLZ2/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284753527&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, that *is* an idea! Thanks Jinx.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:23 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

wait a bit and grab a kinect bundle- the new ones have built in wifi and are kinect ready. Tell her it's what you want and you only turn 40 once...the kinect will be great for the kids and for your health (all the jumping around you'll be doing). They should be here in the next month or so.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haha, her counter will be "then why did we get the Wii?!"

Hopefully I make it to 40, I still have a couple months to go!

It's the X or an iPad, we'll see where the chips fall, but I appreciate the advice!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:28 am 

I want to get a Kinect bundle and get the new Slim, but what would I do with my old 20GB Xbox 360? There is no solution to this conundrum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:24 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

gel wrote:
I want to get a Kinect bundle and get the new Slim, but what would I do with my old 20GB Xbox 360? There is no solution to this conundrum.

well you can put your old 360hd into the new 360slim

1) get hd out of case
2) install it on the slim's hd drive bay
3) ????
4) profit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:39 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

it's interesting...our phone company "Telus" now has fios type tv called optick (or something like that ) and they are one of only two companies in the whole world offering this deal: sign up and you get the new 250g slim xbox on every tv and it is your cable box/ pvr etc... pretty cool stuff imo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:19 am 

Thanks Giorgio, but actually I was hinting at MKE buying my current 360 so I could get myself a new one, haha. Plus, I'd transfer my data from the 20GB to the 250GB since I sorely need the space. There's only 14GB usable on that thing after a fresh 360 format, so it doesn't go a long way with all the DLC and game installing.

That sounds pretty cool Zero, but I wonder if they are trying to tempt you with that, what is the trade off. How much more would you be paying for such service? I've seen some ads that give me a free car if I buy a house. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:54 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

actually they aren't really advertising it- it's just your cable box. i've seen it in action at a buddy's place- it's really impressive.
here's the basics- i guess you need one cable box- my bad.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/08/telus-tv-lets-you-use-your-xbox-360-as-a-digital-set-top-box/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:00 am 

Ah ok. A shame that I wouldn't want to hear a jet engine while watching tv, haha. I hear the S model is quieter, but still not nearly silent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gel wrote:
Thanks Giorgio, but actually I was hinting at MKE buying my current 360 so I could get myself a new one, haha.

Yeah, that was my take on it as well, I just was side tracked with the mobile theme haha.

How much would you want for it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:38 pm 

I don't know the going price, but if you're looking to pay $100 for one, that's fine by me. I bought a 360 in Dec 2007. It had disc read errors after 6 months or so, and I got a replacement from Microsoft. That one has been going strong since, but I'd say if I don't install the game to the hard drive, there might be a disc read error once every 10 times I play (for over an hour). That just requires opening the drive up and then closing it, however I hear this is an issue with most 360s, and many install to the drive so there's no problem there.

Now that I've really talked up my system, still interested? If you want one right away, I can't do it since Kinect isn't out yet and I need to have my drive here to transfer the files over to the new system (I think, either that or I might be able to just use a USB drive). But if you aren't in a hurry, this could work out.

Included:
20GB Xbox 360, white
one wireless controller
all cables/power supply (note this does NOT have HDMI, it's from 2007!)
original box

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Gel,

thanks for posting that up. I appreciate your time on that, but I'm gonna have to take a pass. Maybe one of the other folks will hit you up on that offer though!

Best of luck, MKE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I got the green light for the Kinect bundle, but am feeling incredibly guilty about buying yet *another* console. I guess I'm looking for (non-political!) thoughts on why I should really get this, and not say, just get the Playstation Move and Heavy Rain, then buy an XBox controller to play Mass Effect on the PC hooked up to my TV :)

I think it would be really cool to have the XBox as well, but I am also incredibly impulsive and prone to buyer's regret. As this will be instantly be another $500 out the door, do I really want to blow my E-Ride tickets on this?

One thing I've noticed here is that everyone has an Xbox, so the probability of getting into something multiplayer seems higher, also there seem to be a lot more used XBox 360 games than PS3. Of course that could be a "grass is greener" thing haha.

Debate and thoughts are appreciated, I'm looking at the Kinect bundle w/ hard drive, then instantly buying Mass Effect. Now Mass Effect 2 *is* coming out for PS3.

Any thoughts? Or is everyone sick of me deliberating? I'm notoriously bad at agonizing over decisions, which coupled with impulsivity can lead to hilarity. You should watch me order in a restaurant. Sometimes I don't know what's coming until it ends up at the table.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:37 pm 

For most of us here, $500 is a lot of money. I don't blame you...and, IMO, you should only buy another console if there are games that you want to play on it. It's the main reason I own a 360. I enjoy the Halo games...Halo is NOT on PS3. There has yet to be a game on the PS3 that makes me need one. As such, no reason for me even to want a PS3. Every console game I want to play is available on the 360. Plus, the 360 has the Kinect. Move for the PS3 is way to much "me too" (it really is just a slight improvement on the Wii wand...).

If you like the Kinect, and want to play with the Kinect, then you need a 360.

Other than that, just make a decision already and do what you will...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gah, victim of Black Friday...

Amazon has the 4GB for $199 plus a $60 video game credit, so I got it with free shipping (and there was some $10 promotion at the end) so it was $189.99 and a $60 credit.

I'll try it with the flash drives, but if I really need the hard drive I'll probably get the WD SCorpio and put it in myself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 pm 

Me too... :mrgreen:

I picked up one of the kinect bundles while I was visiting Oregon today (no sales tax :lol: ).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

let me know how it is guys. for me, its going to depend on the accuracy. if its only accurate enough to tell which way I flail a limb, it seems like it would get old pretty quickly. maybe fun for parties, but for actual gaming... :think:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:19 pm 

I pretty much just got it for parties. I'm not a big console gamer, I haven't owned one since I had a dreamcast. :shock:

But I'll post up on how good it is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nooobieee wrote:
I pretty much just got it for parties. I'm not a big console gamer, I haven't owned one since I had a dreamcast. :shock:

But I'll post up on how good it is.

I hear ya. I enjoy a console game now and then, but I prefer games that I can interact with people more, so that means online PC gaming mostly. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well the irony is that I went towards Xbox for that. I only know one person on PSN that plays MP games (Hey Zero!). So I was thinking that actually I would know more people on Xbox Live (although that cost $$).

I also always seem to find much better deals on Xbox games, but that could be a "Grass is greener" thing. THe box *is* actually greener so maybe some truth?!

Anywho, since it's free shipping to Hawaii I'm lucky if it gets here before the new year haha. I'll post my "gamer tag" when I make it. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect and Fable 2 to start.

What's funny is that after playing on the TV and just laying on the couch to play, it's a sight more uncomfortable to be all hunched over in front of the computer to play (as opposed to being hunched over the computer for 8+ hours a day at work :? )

But yes, let me know how Kinect goes, we have just under 8' between couch and TV...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:40 pm 

Here's my update having played with the thing for a bit.

First, positioning the sensor is very important as well as having enough space. I'm still working on getting it to the final place I want it and ordered a TV mount (all the local stores are out). So if you have an HDTV and plan to put this on top of it, don't forget to get the mount! You also need a pretty large TV I think since you have to stand 6-8 feet away from the sensor.

In terms of accuracy, it's very good. I don't have a shooter game yet, but do have the "Fitness Evolved" game and it really tracks well, but with just a bit of lag. It can detect when I open or close my hands (at least you can see that on the screen), but can't tell fingers or thumb apart. So we'll see how shooters work when I get one, I'm not so sure I want to play a game seriously (meaning for hours) if I have to stand up the entire time. :geezer:

The game I like the most so far is "Fitness Evolved", it's pretty amazing if you want to get on a workout program and has tons of different programs, classes, and even a "personal trainer".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nooobieee wrote:
"personal trainer".

I wonder how long it will take jinxter to get a "new look" for his personal trainer. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:40 pm 

Ashman wrote:
nooobieee wrote:
"personal trainer".

I wonder how long it will take jinxter to get a "new look" for his personal trainer. 8)

If it were on PC and I had the game, the patch would have already been applied... :D That said, I wouldn't use a fitness trainer for any game system...if I need to train, I have me. ...and as I have been practicing the Arts since for more than 30 years now, I am a BRUTAL trainer.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]