It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Guild Wars 2 preorder: 10% off
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:04 pm 

Hmmm .. curious .. seems FUBAR was right !!! right !!! right !!! ..................................................................................................................... etc etc etc etc etc

I will definitely try to get onto Blazeridge if I can ever get GW 2 to run. I Dl'd the GW2 client from BBB's post .. but there was no GW2 file found when searching or directory. Went back to the DL file (setup) and it had the DAT file next to it (12.7 gb) but constantly gave me the error message it did not have permission to access the file.. logged in as administrator and all user types have full permissions though. So .. gotta try downloading it again .. if it finishes tonight I will jump on :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm 

You need to make a new folder for the gw2.exe file and other files named gw2 (gw2.dat and gw2.tmp).

Make sure that only those files are in that folder (you might also have a "chrome.log").

Right-click on the gw2.exe, then select Properties. Go the the Compatibility tab and down at the bottom, make sure that "run this program as an administrator" is checked.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 pm 

Haha no, FUBAR, you weren't right (but it is difficult to prove you were wrong too). Just turns out a lot more people were into Yak's Bend than I'd thought they'd be (I asked around and lots of people thought it was funny). However, I think it's worth noting that of course people will go from top to bottom as they read, but they still pick the ones that sound best to them. It's a combo of both, like when you sort files by date changed, and if two files were changed at the same time, the next option is to sort if alphabetically within that date changed structure. I think people went to the servers they wanted to go to, and from there, as servers filled up, people just grabbed any they could, and that would be the ones on the top first. Anvil Rock was predicted to be most popular just due to sounding so cool, but it's also at the top of the list.

Good luck with getting the game to run! That login screen was running days ago.

Edit: Note the in-game server selection is in a totally different order, and it's definitely not the top that are the most popular.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:30 pm 

Redownloaded .. ran it .. was up to like step 4 in char creation and then got disconnected or crashed ... There was no path to the files again so I created the folder, copied the exe, dat, tmp and chrome.log file over. Set 'run as admin' on gw.exe. Still get the following error:

... unable to access its archive ..... Gw2.dat. Please verify that the file is accessible and writeable. and that no other program is currently using it.

When I look at this file (gw2.dat) under properties and go to security I see where it says no permissions have been assigned under "Group or usernames".

??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 pm 

Logging in to Blazeridge now!

Only thing I can think of FUBAR, is make sure that you're not downloading to Program Files (Windows can be funny about that, even if you do run things as Administrator). If you did save under Program Files, maybe try moving everything to a different folder and trying again?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:50 am 

Well, i'm having trouble getting the game to even run, and i have to work all day saturday, so i may miss the whole beta weekend altogether.:( so sadddd.. Have fun everyone and ill try to get it all fixed by late saturday, or early sunday!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:43 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I think Blankety was the first to choose so I went with Blazeridge Mountains for consistency. The controls are not very familiar. This is going to take a lot of getting used to. I realize it is a new game, but I though that there would be more continuity in the game controls. I need a nap. I'll play more later. Too many 16 hour shifts in a row.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:44 pm 

I hold right click to make it feel like a third person shooter (e.g. Mass Effect, Saints Row)

FUBAR, like Moniker said, make sure that gw.exe file is saved into a location you know is a public folder. Sure, you tried giving yourself admin privileges, but avoid that issue in the first place by moving the file(s) to some folder you have permission for sure, like your desktop.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 pm 

im logging in right now!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm 

I'm downloading the patch right now! Yep here comes trouble :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I got it to :D Was playing beta today I made a char character

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 am 

Well i finally got it to play, made a thief, under the name slo ride, got bb in my friends list whispered him, then it crashed! wasnt able to get back on. We need to have a plan going for when the game releases so everyone can find each other in game. That way we can all learn it together. I have to agree with you destroyer, the controls will take some serious getting used to for me, as i have a real problem using wasd because i have arthritis so bad in my fingers, and i can't walk around very well. Hopefully when the final version releases, we will all have our issues resolved. If not, Diablo 3 releases may 15!!!!!! woo hoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I only got to play for about two hours total this beta weekend :( I worked 16 hour shifts 4 days in a row. :geezer: Getting a little too old for that kind of schedule. I haven't even had time to go through the GW2 Wiki in any kind of depth. I'll be better prepared next time.
I didn't have any technical glitches at all. I was playing on Killer Chick's computer. I hope to have my computer (Which has been down for well over a year now) rebuilt and up by the next beta weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 am 

Hey Now, I am working on some computer issues. as soon as they are sorted out I will be on.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 am 

Hey now, Ive been working on trying to get hom points in guildwars, and im having trouble with the war on kryta, one of the quests. If anyone wants to get hom points, come help me out tomorrow night. I'll be on around 6:00. Alot of the crimson people have been on also trying to get hom points, maybe they will tag along to! hope to see somebody there! thx

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 am 

Important info about keeping and reserving your name from Guild Wars 1. Also info about how new names work.

http://www.arena.net/blog/reserving-you ... ild-wars-2

TL;DR
Log into Guild Wars as soon as you can, and your name will be reserved for you during the headstart period. At game launch, if you didn't log in during headstart and grab your name, your name will be up for grabs by anyone.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:29 pm 

Thanks for the post Gel .. brings up more questions though ..

Do we have to log in with each player / toon ... for most of us we have 8 or so ... or just log into one of them and they are all reserved ?

If the name is preserved you have to create a GW2 char with same name .. again, do we have to create one immediately for each and every name (seems likely) we have, or just one and the rest are ours when we get around to it.

That post didn't answer these questions, but I would hate to have to create all my chars forevermore as soon as game is active .. hard to ever go back and do things differently.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:31 am 

I think i will just get slo mo for sure and worry about the rest later.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2