It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Playstation 4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:04 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

So now that the first next-gen console has been announced and tech showed off, what does everyone think? Will you want someone looking over your shoulder when you fail to make the simplest leap between buildings?

Frankly the Quantic Dreams tech demo was the only thing that impressed me. I also welcome the in-game hibernate/suspend ability! Watch Dog looks ok too.

What about that new, larger controller?

Read up from Playstation site: https://us.playstation.com/ps4/

Post subject: Re: Playstation 4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 pm 

I watched every video and HAD to force myself to stay awake through all of them. A NO CONSOLE ANYWHERE IN THE BUILDING Console reveal? EPIC FAIL!

Now what I noticed...
The processor is one that was developed for low power devices such as laptops and tablets. It was mainly designed (based on their Bobcat processor) to compete with Intel's Atom processor. This core processor (Bobcat) that this Jaguar is modeled on is a 4 core processor and a couple of sites (anandtech and extremetech) seem to think that though good, this processor is NOT great and that for the Jaguar it appears that AMD has put 2 bobcats (2 x 4 cores) on the same die. Each core will probably be clocked to around 2Ghz and that's it. I believe that Sony is going this route because I think that they CANNOT afford to sell ANY NEW console for too much of a loss, considering how much financial trouble they are in currently. I believe the choice of this processor is primarily for having a better processor than the current PS3 and Xbox 360, but they did NOT care about shooting for ultimate performance as given their financial difficulties, they cannot afford it.

As for the videos...most were PURE YAWNERS! Wow...I have not been this underwhelmed by anything involving a new console since this presentation. Throughout it all, they all just seemed to be running tech demos. Killzone was probably one of 2 vids I watched that were at least a bit interesting.

As for the presenters...ALL were white men. This IS Sony correct? They couldn't find a single person of color with something to present? ...and a DISTINCT lack of estrogen among any of the presentation if you don't count those of the 3D rendered type. Sony kept repeating that they were going after the 'hard-core gamer', do they ACTUALLY believe that only white men are the 'hard-core'?

As for the GPU, the graphics and the processor will be sharing the same 8 GB bank of memory. Granted 8 GB of Ram should be good for both, however, this will NOT allow them a lot of headroom as devs start squeezing ever more juice out of what the next gen consoles can do. I think the PS4 will plateau VERY quickly.

Now, notice there was a complete absence of the actual console? It is because the Sony brass, have yet to even select any design for what it SHOULD look like. Here is an article at Kotaku is a telling quote:
Quote:
In an interview after this week's unveiling, Hiroshi Kawano, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, was asked by 4Gamer about the PS4's design. "If I'm being honest, I also haven't seen its final design. Even the controller we showed today, I saw the final design around yesterday or so."
If the PRESIDENT of SCE Japan doesn't know what it will look like, how close are they really to releasing this device?

All told, the device that Sony was talking about and NOT showing AT ALL is a device that does NOT outperform the PC that I type this post on...

As for MS, I am now waiting to see what they bring to the 'next-gen'.

Post subject: Re: Playstation 4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

i'm impressed by SONY in general. I have both the 360 and the ps3. i play hockey and my guitar hero games on my xbox everything else i do on my playstation. xbox lost me about a year and a half ago with their gui. i even pay for the psn. the value is way better than live (i pay for that too). as for the ps4, i'm not keen on the always on and could care less about drawing on my tv or sharing my crap on fb or even sharing my gaming experience with somebody in the room. all i want from the next gen is faster loads and install times and better graphics. i know that both ms and sony want to one up the other but the faster i can get from turning on my tv to playing bf3 or watching netfix or my streamed tv shows will win.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]