It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: FUBAR...PS3 troubleshooting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm 

Even though I suspect something is up with your unit, as both of your controllers are affected, you can attempt these steps.

- Reset the controller...There is a reset button located in a very small hole on the back of the controller. If you turn the controller over and keep the top side of the controller facing up, the hole will be on the right side, toward the top. You will need a thin pointy object, such as a pin or a straightened paperclip to get inside the hole and press the reset button.
- Try to sync your controller to the unit again. If what you are doing on the controller isn't translating to the screen, it might be a sync issue. Plug your controller in via the USB port, and press the "PS" button to sync.
- Try plugging the controller in while the console is off. If the system will not recognize the controller when you plug it in and attempt to sync it, you can try to make it recognize the controller by powering the system off, plugging the controller in via the USB cord and then powering the system back on. As the system is booting up, it may recognize the controller as a device.
- Try borrowing another controller from a friend and see if that controller will work on your system and try yours on their system. Try the above steps on that other controller/PS3. If your controllers still won't work, even on another system, I would say that your controllers are toast.
- Last step...Do a hard reset of the system. A hard reset will return your system to factory settings, so back up the information you have stored on the PS3 before doing the next step. To do a hard reset, turn off the PS3 using the switch on the back of the unit and turn it back on, then hold the power button on the front of the console down for several seconds. When you hear three beeps, the system has been reset. Try to plug your controller in, and press the "PS" button to sync. If the system still cannot recognize the controller, you will need to buy a new one.

Post subject: Re: FUBAR...PS3 troubleshooting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:34 pm 

Thanks Jinx.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:10 pm 

What are the chances of just replacing the hard drive and having it work ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:16 pm 

Unfortunately, all of the forum posts I have read in regards to this type of issue was a MoBo issue. If you performed all of the steps I had, then most people at that point have sent it in and some suspect that the controller for the wireless controllers may be going bad or some such...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:29 pm 

The USB ports and the cable are toast apparently. Bought an AC charger for the controllers and now they connect and work fine. Guess whatever controls the juice going thru the USB's was fried and once the charger batteries drained, that was all she wrote. I'll chalk that up to the baby pulling and sucking on the cord. As for repeatedly finding myself at the setup screen, I will chalk up it up to baby playing piano with that power button.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]