It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: UGC Highlander Team Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:18 pm 

1. We ARE TOO TIMID after losing a round...or 2
Too often, particularly AFTER we are in a comfortable lead, yet we lose a round, we become too timid and way TOO DEPENDENT on the "UBER". Speed kills, and when we got in the lead we did it by getting to the points BEFORE the other team. We took the high ground, took them out and then took the point. When we continued to push, we soon capped their 2nd and after which, their 1st points (out last) would fall all too soon due to how some maps run their cap times on that point.
A. In the first 2 rounds, we rushed mid, got it after killing nearly half their team, rushed their 2nd and was able to rush the their 1st without waiting too long. We did NOT allow them to come to full strength. SPEED KILLS and we continually PROVE that.
B. What happened in the 3rd round...for some reason, we decided we needed to wait...this allowed them to prevent our capping their 2nd...they then pushed mid, rushed our 2nd, and after which, our 1st fell fast...SPEED KILLS. They were rushing and NOT waiting for their UBER. This allowed them to control the tempo because at that point we were not playing to win, we were waiting for out almighty UBER and then playing not to lose.

When we switched to their server, we entered and NEVER LEFT TIMID mode...even though all we needed was ONE WIN!

1. They kept getting to mid FIRST, taking the high ground and rushing around behind us with Soldier and Scout...this caused us to pull back. But we could NEVER hold them back from our 2nd. Almost as if we decided that we NEEDED to pull back all the way to 1. Why were we allowing this to happen? BECAUSE WE WERE WAITING FOR OUR UBER...which they NEVER did. If their medic died, they still had enough skill players to hold us back, when to be honest, on a one on one, nearly EVERY ONE OF US could take our counterpart on ANY GIVEN DAY. They were consistently aggressive and it PAID OFF. SPEED KILLS and they PROVED IT!!!
2. When they were coming for our 2nd, they ALWAYS HAD AN UBER, because we started to concede the mid, then their medic could build up that UBER. Then they rushed in with that UBER and TAKE the 2nd. Then we ALL fell back...to try to NOT LOSE!!! What needs to happen is our UBER needs to be used to push out and retake the 2nd.
3. We DO NOT prioritize very well. Our harassment classes, Scout and Spy and even Soldier, need to be going out and getting their snipers, medics and engineers. MEDICS, SNIPERS, ENGINEERS...this means no Uber/Kritz, no Headshots from long range and no turrets to deal with. Guess who killed me nearly everytime? Their Scout, Soldier, or Spy...their advance harassment players.
4. I noticed that 2 of our players, maybe 3 even switched roles...WHY? Are you ALL EQUAL in skill that this point is MOOT? I would say NO! WE NEED TO STOP DOING THIS...STICK TO YOUR ROLES FOR THE ENTIRE MATCH. You warm up with one class then switch in the middle of a match just about the time you are warmed up to the class you WERE using? You DO realize that it DOES TAKE TIME for your reflexes to match with the class you are using right? How does switching like this MAKE ANY SENSE? Either we have the right players in the right classes at the start of a match (meaning the best in each class) or we do what we can...STOP SWITCHING IN THE MIDDLE OF A MATCH.
5. RUSH WITH THE UBER! Why are we NOT doing this...too damn often I am watching 1 person on a point. At a minimum we need to have a x3 on EVERY CAPTURE. This ensures we are capping at the best speed.

Now this is my 2yen...I WANT and NEED to hear what the rest of you think. If you think I am off on the above, TELL ME why. I gave examples, I want examples from you guys as to why because we ARE CURRENTLY on a losing streak which means that what we ARE doing IS NOT working. We speed cap, get a lead, then we lose a round or 2, start to turtle, start to WAIT FOR THAT UBER, and then we lose 4 ROUNDS IN A ROW.
What can we do to flip this trend? I say we trust in our skill sets, take top ground, use SPEED, kill them all, and CAP THE POINTS! UBER is great but it is NOT necessary in the EARLY GAME. Mid and late game, YES, but early? NO! We NEED to stick with what works...how is it we get a lead (we have now gone up 3 round to nil or 1 multiple times only to lose 4 rounds in a row) We DO switch strategy right in the middle of a round and it IS biting us in the @$$. Why do we do this?
Please guys...let's discuss...let's turn this around. Losing sucks...

Post subject: Re: UGC Highlander Team Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:07 pm 

Where's that popcorn eating emoticon? :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:25 pm 

Doesn't look like any of the 10 viewer want to EVEN start a discussion on what we can do to improve. Guess no one cares enough? Guess I can stop caring as well...too bad. We are too damned skilled to lose this often. It isn't teamwork, it isn't map knowledge...oh well. I attempted...but all I get is crickets. I can wait another couple of days, maybe the other 10 viewers were NOT any of the current team...who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 pm 
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Jinx, thanks for the input. However, that was our last match this season.

It sucks that we lost again yesterday, and I think some of your points are valid. Mithyk and Moniker should not have switched. That was just a bad idea, and it was not something that could have improved our gameplay.

I think that we lost because:
1) plaaayer was playing too far from me and I couldn't reach him.
2) We were pushing out on uber disadvantages.
3) We were not coordinated.

Aggression is a good trait to have as a team, but not individually. The individual aggression that plaaayer showed got both me and him killed several times. He would push out, oblivious of his flank, and I would have to follow to keep him alive. Then, the scout would come around and destroy him and me because we would be the only ones there.

Also, when defending last, we were pushing out way too much on uber disadvantages. I'm not sure who initiated the pushes, but I was trying to tell everybody not to push. Somebody would push out, then others would follow, and everybody would die to the enemy uber when I would be at 60% or something. We should have realized that the enemy had an uber advantage - especially after I called it repeatedly - and not pushed out. Aggression in that situation was a poor choice.

Speaking of me calling stuff, I was trying to main call this match. But not all of my calls were good, and people were not listening a lot of the time. I went on a rant right at the end of the first half about not pushing when we are down in uber percentage, and you, jinx, immediately said in mumble to be more aggressive. I'm not sure if you were listening or not, but that was what I was arguing against.

But basically, the enemy team had better teamwork than us, and we were all playing pub style and not heeding my calls. If we had had DANE and plaaayer (and you) at the scrim, then we would have done a lot better. First time playing medic with DANE and plaaayer during a match? It's a wonder we even got 3 rounds.

Sorry if I sound overly angry/argumentative. I don't like how you logged out of mumble asap last night and posted this on the forum, somehow without knowing that that was our last match. I agree with you that we should have done better, and won that match. However, I disagree with you on how we should have done it, and had voiced my opinions to deaf ears last night.

Still, I'm grateful for you and everybody playing on this team this season. As I said in mumble last night, I'm not going to lead next season. I could play, if somebody else were up to lead. It's been too much stress/work dealing both with enemy teams and with our team, on top of college.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the post Flomu...if we decide to do this again, we will have to discuss team roles and strategies and we could probably start it far earlier than we did this year/season. I WANT to do this again. I do want to apologize for this Sunday, I should have waited until after the scrim before taking my narcotic cough medicine...it actually knocked me out until 2100 that night and I did consider not taking it until after, but it never knocked me on my ass to that degree before. I should NOT have taken it when I did...

That said, I think we can do this, however, I would also like to say I liked that you were leading it. You did a GOOD job. If it were up to vote, I would vote you to lead it again...main reason, you were learning and we WERE learning to listen to another leader as our previous one was not leading this time. But you know your college workload better than everyone...but I hope you are not giving up the leader role due to frustration over the team.

I don't know about the rest of you, but overall I DID have fun and want to do this again...who is in?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:14 pm 

We placed 16th out of 51 teams in steel. That sounds about right for our team given our skill, our practice regimen, and our practice attendance. We got out what we put in. We can't find our most effective individual and team strategies with just one practice scrim so I'm not going to knock anyone for not playing better or not using a better strategy. I doubt anyone did anything that was intentionally bad for the team. If you want the RH team to win and go farther in the playoffs then each of us can:

A) Agree to use the best players for each position, everyone has their biases so use statistical metrics. Warning: People WILL be butthurt when we put the good of the team ahead of individual opinions and preferences.
B) Devote more time for practice.
C) Follow the leader's strategy.
D) If you disagree with the leader's strategy, listen to them for the current season and be the leader next season.

If you want to actually have fun and enjoy competing with your clan-mates:

E) Do what we did, except don't expect to win or be successful if we don't do A,B,C and D.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 am 

Can anyone post the stats? Would like to see how we did...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

Well said Max. When all said and done, it's the must successful TF2 team RH has had.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]