It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Any Hunters on here? Need to take out coyotes.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:17 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Hey fellas. I live in the country and have seen a huge increase in coyote activity on my property. I have had 8 chickens and I"m pretty certain my cat killed by these bastards. One of the pack comes up pretty close to the house typically between 0800 - 1000 on a sporadic basis. Scouting? I'm worried about my kids and other animals so I have dusted off the old 12 gauge and got a box of 00Buck. I am finding some valuable advice online and was somewhat flabbergasted with how many coyote hunts were posted on youtube. I have my trail cam set up and have a pretty good idea of their routes and some of the times that they come around. I have a couple of good (I think) blind spots where I can post up. My yard is only about 2 acres so I'm not going to be taking any super long shots. I will almost definitely end up within 50 yards of the animal.

I'm looking for any tips or advice you can offer. Don't tell me to get a new gun unless you are going to donate it because it just isn't in the budget. Gun mods or different ammo are certainly possible though. :50cal: :50cal: Thanks in advance for your advice.

Post subject: Re: Any Hunters on here? Need to take out coyotes.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:40 pm 

I don't like hunting but I'm willing to say 00buck is easily still a killer at 50yds+. I'm not sure what model 12ga. you have, just keep in mind a safety "click" to fire will send them running. We had lots around as a kid, I don't think a toddler would be on a coyotes list. Small dogs and cats yes. I always got a kick out the people looking for lost fluffy. When you send your white cat out at night with a dinner bell on it's collar he is not lost. He is gone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shotguns with rifled slugs make good hunting weapons depending on the barrel length and sights among other things. But the 00 buck would give you more margin for error!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:40 am 

For larger animals we would use slugs in the 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I used to be pretty handy with various rifles and shotguns (and not just in Day of Defeat) but it has been so long now that I probably need the margin for error.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:30 pm 

I also live out in the country Ross and coyotes used to be a MAJOR issue. That lone coyote you are seeing is doing a combo of scouting, but also acting as bait. I have watched probably a good 30 times from a neighboring hill, coyotes in a pack of about 4-5 send one coyote over the hill to entice the neighbors dog. Trying to get the dog to give chase back up over the hill where the others are waiting. Coyotes are very opportunistic hunters, they will scavange and usually chose prey that doesn't require much of an effort. But they will also go after animals larger then they are. I have an 75lb yellow lab and the coyotes are always trying to bait her over the hill. If your children are under 6 or so I would definetly be concerned for their safety. Will they attack? Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised either if they tried.

As far as trying to take coyotes with a shotgun, I would highly recommend using slugs, or "B" or if you can swing it "T" shot. T shot will still be lealthy to a coyote at about 60-70yards. Also I recommend using "HEVI-SHOT" shotgun ammo. It's denser then lead and hits a lot harder then most 12guage shells. You will also want to get a new choke for your shotgun if you plan on trying to tag coyotes past 40yards. Carlson make a coyote choke which will keep the pattern tight past 50 yards. Other wise your just wasting ammo.

I know you said buying a new gun is out of the question, but if your coyote problem is bad, I would recommend getting some sort of rifle. Anything from a 10/22 to a .223 caliber. I have dropped many coyotes with my Ruger 10/22, .223 Mini 14 and occasionally with my AR15 when they are around the 200 yard range.

Good luck Ross.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]