Switch to full style
The place for announcements, artwork and general posting!
Post a reply

Help - My Credit's been f'd with, I think...

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am

TL/DR; looking for contact info for anything / anyone that can help with bad info on those "security questions based on your credit report"... because I keep getting questions about someone else and it's freaking me out.

My bank can't / won't help, I've looked at all 3 credit reports from 6 months ago and they were fine - I'm in the process of requesting new ones, but meanwhile I can't get to any of the major credit bureaus by any number I find on the internet.

Last month I tried to set up a new account with my bank over the phone, and when they gave me the questions, every single one was not about me, and in fact had a different name (like Bob Olson, not Kristin Olson). Of course I failed the questions and the Bank did nothing to help me figure out what going on - in fact I don't think they ever understood why I was concerned! Someone in the Fraud department said he looked at a snapshot of my credit report and didn't see anything off... so I let it lay as a glitch (what the fraud guy said). To get the account I had to go personally into a branch and show my ID.

Today I went to create a login on milconnect so that I could update my old info in DEERS, it gave me the questions... first time through, 2 of the 4 were about me - the other 2 were about a new HELOC in April of 2014 and the name of a roommate (answering "N/A" resulted in failing the security check). The second time through, 2 questions about me, 2 questions about someone else again (this time for a "mortgage" in April 2014 and another one (I forget cuz that's when I really started freaking out)... "N/A" for both gave me the Failed message.

At this point I don't know what the F is going on - if they show a mortgage in April 2014, you'd think it would have been on my credit report from 6 months ago, but maybe not?

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Help - My Credit's been f'd with, I think...

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:23 pm

That's a new one to me. Hopefully you get it figured out.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Seems this isn't a new thing and I didn't find anything that indicated an actual problem. Some folks postulate it's a way of getting people to sign up for their services even.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120578

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:27 am

I saw that too, but since it happened in places other than their sites, I wasn't sure. And when I did get to 2 of the 3 later this afternoon, neither offered the monitoring service.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:21 am

I use credit karma - free service (I was totally skeptical at first and maybe I am missing something but it's been great for a year). Its just a review of what's currently on your credit history. It seems fairly up to date and - like I said - free.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:21 am

AnxietyClown wrote:I use credit karma - free service (I was totally skeptical at first and maybe I am missing something but it's been great for a year). Its just a review of what's currently on your credit history. It seems fairly up to date and - like I said - free.

This is what I use as well. I have nothing but good stuff to say about it, but I'm certainly no personal credit expert.
Post a reply