It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just tried daily burn for the first time today...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 pm 

Damn you JD.

Post subject: Re: Just tried daily burn for the first time today...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For real? Did you like? Kick boxing was no crap, right?

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:14 am 

Leigh and I were absolutely exhausted by the end. It was either this or a gym membership, but we figured we could use the guidance and motivation, so we went with DB. It was great! Got our heart rates up and I suspect having a new show each day will be a huge help in keeping us motivated.

Also, using the word Jab in a kick boxing segment was messed up, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to tell you, it's been the best job I've ever had. They take the ideas of community, support, family, progress, motivation VERY seriously. We have a blast on the show, I do 7 of these a week so I am in the best shape of my life. Stick with it, you'll seriously change your life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am in the middle of a bet with some friends over who can lose the most weight over a 3 month period. This is part of a larger plan to motivate myself to get into shape.

I've been a skinny guy my entire life, but as those of you that have met me any time in the last several years could attest, just relying on genetics to keep me in shape is no longer working :doh:

As part of my fitness plan I think I might give daily burn a shot as well. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:36 am 

Just so you understand Ashman, exercise will probably slow down your weight loss.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nooobieee wrote:
Just so you understand Ashman, exercise will probably slow down your weight loss.

depends on the exercise. I understand that putting on muscle will increase weight, but I've got plenty of fat to lose. :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:58 am 

It's that, muscle weighs more then fat. But also you don't actually burn off that much through exercise so the tradeoff will likely just slow you down. Diet is really the way to go in my opinion.

When I want to lose some weight, I follow a High/Low pattern (2 High days a week with 5 low days). On low days I target about 1200 calories for the day, and on high days I target about 1500 calories. That keeps my metabolism up so I lose weight on the low days. I've trimmed about 10lbs in the past 4 weeks and would like to level off after another 5 by the end of April.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmmm, sounds like you're having some success. :thumbsup:

I'll look into that as well, but for me the goal is more than just the bet. I need to be in better shape. I always told myself that I didn't care to exercise so long as I could still do what I wanted to do. Unfortunately I've gotten enough out of shape that if I want to go for a hike or mountain climbing, etc, I really can't. That is the root of the problem I am trying to solve.

If I manage to get into much better shape but lose the bet I can live with that. (although I'd love to win the bet too :) )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:40 pm 

I'd check it out Josh, it's kind of like going on a raid with JD co-leading, except he never gets angry when you screw up, lol.

In all seriousness though, the pace is great, starting slow and gradually ramping up, and the fact that you get a new routine every single day will go a long ways towards keeping it fresh. Doing something to stay in shape is better than nothing, and the first month is free, so you lose nothing by trying it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:02 pm 

I'm thinking about getting on board too. Life's changing for the better after my layoff and I want ACs ridiculous vertical jump. Jesus Christ man humans aren't supposed to do that.

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Irminsul wrote:
I'd check it out Josh, it's kind of like going on a raid with JD co-leading, except he never gets angry when you screw up, lol.

:D :D :D :D Thats f-ing hysterical

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat so you'll gain weight' thing. We hear this a lot, its true without being exactly accurate.

Yes, muscle is more dense than fat. So if you took a certain volume of fat and simple replaced it for the same volume of muscle, you would weigh more. But that's not at all what you're doing in something like Daily Burn. We do a 30 minute workout with NO weights (we show you options if you want to add weight, but it's not necessary). Our workout is about moving, getting your heart rate up, burning more calories, and increasing your endurance and what we call "functional mobility" -- that moment when you've got to reach for something or pick up more groceries than you want to, that should get easier over time with this kind of workout.

So you're not building a good deal of muscle with a 30 min cardio workout. If you're weight training, yes, you run the risk of gaining weight not losing. If you're doing medium to low impact cardio with some basic, self-resisted arm and leg strengentening, it's not an issue.

The real truth (and I mention it on the show all the time) is that you cannot out train a bad diet. If you did our show 7 days as week, you might see modest progress in weight over the long term. But if you did our show 5 days a week and adjusted your eating habits you'll see amazing results.

I'm not a nutritionist but here's a VERY GENERAL, VERY CURSORY look at food:

Calories: there's a super general rule that whatever you want to weigh, multiply it by 10 and that's your maximum calories intake for a day. Want to be 175? 1750 calories it is. There's something very powerful about reading every label, knowing exactly what a portion size really looks like, and knowing - precisely - what calories are going into your body. Even if you aren't going to do Daily Burn I high reccomend spending 1 month logging EVERYTHING SINGLE THING you eat (there are loads of good apps for this). Get a sense of what you consume, it will blow your mind.

My typical day (assuming no social events, kid bday parties, etc).
breakfast 3 eggs (2 whole, 1 white) plus 3oz chicken breast + coffee = about 400 cals
lunch 4oz deli turkey, lettuce, onion, mustard, sandwich roll = about 400 cals
dinner = rice/chicken/black beans and a few other things = 550 cals
2 beers = 300 cals
snacks throughout the day (almonds , veggies, healthy stuff not crap) = 300

all that = 1900 calories

I want to weigh 160. So I need to burn an ADDITIONAL 300 calories a day to get to even (or skip beer, but lets not be crazy) I can do that with ease given my work but for some people it's a bit harder. If I run 3 miles (which takes me about 25 minutes) I burn 375. If I just walk everywhere in NYC (which I do by default) I burn that. Etc.

If I could just eliminate snacks (which I should) I'd be right on target with NO exercise.

TL;DR - daily cardio won't make you gain weight but the key to success is a change in the way you eat. NOT a diet, a sustainable new normal of healthy, low sugar foods with a regime of cardio built in 4-5 days a week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats good stuff AC.

Luckily I don't really have a sweet tooth so I don't have a lot of snacks to try to cut out of my diet. I did drink several cans of mountain dew a day, but I stopped that about a month ago.

I'm a little taller than you so my target weight is 190. If that means I can eat 1900 calories a day, I think I'm in good shape diet wise.

My breakfast is usually a granola bar and a yogurt. Sometimes also a banana. That puts me at 300-400 calories.

I try to aim for 500-600 for lunch and slightly more for dinner. Lunch is usually leftovers from the previous dinner.

As for exercise, right now I run 6 stories of stairs 2-3 times a day ( I work on the 6th floor of an office building) and do 1/2 hour on a stationary bike and/or treadmill 3 times a week.

When the weather around here improves I plan on adding biking during my lunch. If I can get some daily burn mixed into the routine I should be in good shape.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:49 pm 

So Phoenix is never coming back, right? Because that was crazy. I'm so tired - I can't even feel my eyeballs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:25 pm 

Thanks AC that's great info!

I still think mixing your diet up with high days and low days is very helpful. I think that if you eat the same calories every day your metabolism will adjust to expect that amount of calories. This is why people hit plateaus. I find high days prevent that adjustment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Again, not a professional nutritionist but I would propose an alternative. I don't think your body gets used to a certain number of calories and therefor burns fewer. Calories are like fuel in a car - you burn what you need to do what you want to do.

But you're doing something very smart by varying the workout. When your body becomes accustom to a certain way of moving, it gets better and better at it. As it gets better, it gets more efficient and burns fewer calories doing it. THIS is why people plateau. If you walk 2 miles a day and you're 250 pounds and have no walking experience, you're going to burn 400 calories (making that number up).

So, you walk 2 miles a day for two months. You slowly shed pounds. Now you're 240 pounds and used to walking. A few things have happened. #1 you're carrying around 10 fewer pounds, so walking actually burns fewer calories. #2 the muscles required to propel your body down the street are stronger, more used to this movement, and far more efficient. So you are going to use less energy to do make that 2 mile walk and therefor burn fewer calories.

Combine this with eating - suddenly you need to eat a diet that is right for a 240 pound person, not a 250 pound person - and progress seems to grind to a halt.

What works for a lot of people is a workout like Noooobie describes -- change up your workout, high intensity, low intensity, walking, running, cardio circuits, kick boxing - and your body take much longer to get 'used' to the movement and it will remain inefficient longer (which is good).

Yes, you have to adjust your diet but IMHO if you're eating low sugar (including cabs), high protein, high fiber, and lots of natural, unprocessed foods, you could eat the exact same thing daily and it wouldn't stop you from losing weight and getting fit (assuming your calories intake remains below your calorie burn)

SIDE NOTE -- we're having a conversation about fitness? wow... :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:11 am 

That makes sense AC, and yeah conversation on fitness who would have thunk it! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:11 am 

A couple of years ago I bought an entry level carbon fiber road bike and got the bug. I usually ride 40-50 miles on one day in the weekend, and try to squeeze in a couple of 20+ milers after work during the week. Started using a trainer during winter months. Dropped 35 lbs the first year. You can burn about 2500 calories, depending on weight on a 3 hour ride with an average speed above 16MPH. On ride days you can pretty much eat whatever you want, within reason. I don't drink soda, started substituting fruit for sweets.

Each ride is an adventure, love the sport, I like buying the gear. And once your are in shape, it is pretty much pain free during the ride. I am sore the next day after any ride that is 50 miles or more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grim, riding is awesome and pretty easy on the body as well. Good for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:09 pm 

Getting back to doing Martial Arts again...hitting a free-standing weight back. Looking at getting a heavier one now. It is amazing to me (even with 35 years of experience) how tiring throwing punches and kicks can be.
Just have to work some heavy lifting and running into the plan and I hope to get back in to shape.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The idea of riding 50 miles is mind-blowing for me. In my current state of "fitness" :roll: Just riding a few miles is tough. To be fair, I only have a mountain bike, but still. Good for you man!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:17 am 

Ashman wrote:
The idea of riding 50 miles is mind-blowing for me. In my current state of "fitness" :roll: Just riding a few miles is tough. To be fair, I only have a mountain bike, but still. Good for you man!

Seriously! And with Jinxter ramping it up, it's inspiring!

I haven't competed in martial arts for years (my last competitive fight was in Las Vegas). :think:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:32 pm 

Ashman wrote:

I once though that, but now it is extremely doable. Yesterday I rode 48 miles, my entire return trip was against a steadily increasing headwind, so that, combined with stop and go traffic, dropped my average speed down to 15.2MPH. Total ride time was 3 hours and 10 minutes. Calories burned 2945.

Any activity that combines wheels, exercise, and food is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:33 pm 

TIL I should weigh 250lbs.

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next