It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Easy TV Box - too good to be true?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:38 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

http://easyviewtv.com/easyviewtv.html

Hi y'all - one of the guys at work just picked one of these up at the local fair - and loves it. Anyone else heard of it, have an opinion?

It almost seems to good to be true - and last night he watched San Andreas via Showbox, which isn't that still in the theatres?

The way the vendor explained it - their satellite pulls in the signals then sends the info out via the internet. They said he'd get pretty much anything that has been digitized via satellite, he saw that they have Game of Thrones (so HBO), The Playboy channel, Kodi Genesis, Youtube, and so on...

The cost is a one-time fee to purchase the box, no annual fees.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Easy TV Box - too good to be true?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's my take without a lot of time to do research.

These boxes (and there are others) are essentially internet boxes with the ability to stream to your TV whatever content on the web you chose. Some of that content is legal, some is not. There are many ways to view/stream movies that are still in theatres - NONE of them are legal without paying for them (and even then if it's still in theatres its probably not legit).

Not putting a judgment value on this, only reccomending you consider whether your ISP might become aware that your internet connection is streaming pirated content. Many people (anecdotally) have gotten cease and desist letters for torrenting content (which is essentially what this is) and eventually lost their internet access over it if they didn't comply.

If you choose this route, you should absolutely spend the $3-5 a month for IP masking services (Private Internet Access is an affordable, reputable company that many people have used for this). What these companies do is route your traffic through their servers. It slows you down a tiny bit, but all your traffic - as far as your ISP knows - is going to a legitimate service in [insert town of your new IP here]. After that, whatever you do on the web is private.

TL;DR --- this is an andriod based internet box, some of its streams are legal, some are not. Enjoy at your own risk

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:57 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Thanks - we're talking about it now. He picked up the box at the fair this weekend and was letting me know about it...

If it is essentially pirating - that's pretty gutsy to be selling it out in the open at a fair like that, especially if they are representing that all the content on their device is legal when maybe it's not...

The Vendor told him - that when a movie or whatever is digitized and then transmitted to / through a satellite, that whoever has access to that satellite can get it... so if movie, etc. is transmitting via satellite to get it to the vendor that will be making the DVDs - according to them, it's fair game. The company can take it and distribute as they choose (charge or not charge)...

Very interesting...

Thanks for the info!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tien wrote:
The Vendor told him - that when a movie or whatever is digitized and then transmitted to / through a satellite, that whoever has access to that satellite can get it... so if movie, etc. is transmitting via satellite to get it to the vendor that will be making the DVDs - according to them, it's fair game.

A couple of things. First, do you really imagine we live in a world where "if you can get your hands on it, it's fair game" when it comes to corporate profit and intellectual property? Then there would be no such thing as music piracy and cable descramblers would be totally legal. That you can somehow intercept a sattlite signal and - for free- enjoy the content and that's perfectly legal?

The fact that its being sold at a faire and not best buy should also be a red flag for you.

The box itself is not illegal, any more than your computer is illegal. So selling it is fine. But once you, the user, install the channels that stream copywritten content, you're breaking the law. I don't really care about this for a moral perspective and there are certainly ways around getting caught doing this.

I guess there's the possiblity that I am wrong as I don't know this device personally. But I know internet streaming boxes and I know loads of user created channels that allow you to stream torrented illegal content. So my best guess, and i think it's solid, is this is a combination of those things. Not trying to waive you off of it, just making sure you know what you're buying.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:36 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Ok - now I can type with the guy not standing over my shoulder... LOL

I told him something didn't sound right about it so I'd ask you guys, because y'all would know, then shared your answer. He gave me the "but but - tell them the vendor said it was ok" spiel. As soon as he told me he saw the movie that was still in the theatres, it was clear that it was completely hinky.

Personally - I have cable for now, eventually will go back to my combination of Roku, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and broadcast TV as soon as that contract is up... though I will miss all my episodes of Dateline on ID/OWN/HLN etc.

Thanks - I've shared both your answers and he can make up his mind now how he will use it - I'm hoping he chooses to stay away from the clearly pirated content.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]