It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Acoustic Guitar recommendation and prices (used) ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:10 pm 

Anyone got some decent (fair to middlin) recommendations for a brand and price range for a used guitar for a beginner with small hands ? (righty)

Going to be browsing the Portland Craigslist for one.

Post subject: Re: Acoustic Guitar recommendation and prices (used) ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Ovation and Taylor are a couple of reputable brands for acoustic guitars -- it really depends on what you're willing to spend. It sounds like your sweet spot for price will land somewhere between 200 and 500.

I've looked through some of the options on Portland CL and linked some I think might be good:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/4969820474.html <- this one seems like a great option for the price (acoustic electric)
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/4969667235.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/4969680763.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msg/4933789855.html <- nice-looking black Fender

I highly recommend going to a music store and holding guitars of different sizes, styles, and prices to find out what you're most comfortable with. Having someone knowledgeable help in person would be great too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 am 

Sayfailo picked some good ones. The Ovations tend to have smaller necks than most and you can't go wrong at that price. The Taylor is a very nice as well, (my pick).
I would certainly avoid anything made in china, Indonesia.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:23 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I will keep looking at these and whatever else pops up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:37 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I've never been a fan of the ovations but Mopar is correct that they are a bit smaller in the neck. It seems like people who have them love 'em. They sound fine I just don't like the way the body feels. You are smart to consider used, you can get some really nice instruments for dirt cheap. I think they sound a bit better with some wear and tear. When buying used never ever pay asking price unless they are giving you a super great deal. Compare what they are asking to what a site like guitar center has it listed for. A lot of times people are still trying to get retail for the used instrument so always make an offer lower than what they are asking for and be willing to walk away if they won't budge.

I sold a Fender acoustic/electric on CL once for $250. I only wanted $200 and may have gone lower. Guy comes by, plays it for a bit, knew his way around the instrument much better than I did. He's getting his wallet out and I was waiting for him to make an offer, he paused for a moment like he was going to then just handed over the full amount. I was stunned but stoked.

I got a good deal on one of these guitars several years ago. Paid $600 when it was retailing at guitar center for around $900. If you are able to find one used or on sale I highly recommend it if it is a good fit for you. I haven't checked out Takamine's other models but they have a good reputation. The neck is a nice size.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taylor and Martin are super high end (and awesome, I have a Taylor). I also have a $190 Ibanez that is my 'take it to the park and jam' guitar (the Taylor isn't allow to go outside).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... tic-guitar

that's new and not a bad starter.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:14 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

honestly for about 200$ you cannot beat the Yamaha sound.

Taylor is my absolute favorite so if you are a fan of those lows, for the money Yamaha is my choice.

Don't get caught up on brand name, focus on sound. If you like the bright highs I would say something in the fender or tak range, lows i would stick with yama.

just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:20 pm 

Well , have not pulled the trigger yet.

I won a Bushnell Tour v3 Patriot Pack range finder at an engineering materials supplier conference, which I need to get off my rear end and sell first for the funds.

Any golfers out there have interest ? Never used other than to sight a couple neighbors houses to check if it was working. Still have packaging, etc .. trade for good guitar or sell for around $250. The new price is $275 to $300 if you find it on sale.

Since I shattered my left shoulder in a motorcycle accident a number of years ago, I have not golfed since and got rid of my clubs.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]