It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi guys. My son is 9 years old, he's an insanely avid reader - I cannot keep him in books. Harry Potter, 39 Clues, HIVE, Percy Jackson, Rangers Apprentice, Squires Tale - all read and reread. I've offered up dozens of others some he like some he doesn't

I never read Wheel of Time but I am wondering if its appropriate for him in terms of content.

Thanks
AC

http://www.thehandsondad.com

Post subject: Re: Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would say it would probably be fine as far as content goes. There is no sexual content to speak of. Certainly nothing explicit. There is plenty of fighting and scary moments but I don't recall it being overly graphic. I would think that the bigger issue would be that the story is pretty complicated and the books are LOOOOOONG. I'm not sure if he'll be able to keep up with it all. Maybe if you read the books too?

Actually, thinking about it, the first 3 books aren't too bad and could probably be read as a trilogy without going further where the story gets way more complicated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:21 pm 

I would recommend a Kindle Fire...then start by picking books there. Since I have had Kindles (yes, I own 2 and going to buy a 3rd one...) I have NOT stopped reading. It is great...as a Prime member I can check out books for free (not all allow this step but enough do) and then using the kindle I have found some great self-published books. These are priced from $.99 - $2.99 or so. Plus, after you read a few, the Kindle starts to recommend series based on your reading habits and I have to say some of the choices have been spot on.

As for Wheel of Time, Blythe swears by the series...he states that they do start a bit slow, but really good reads.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:57 am 

AC, I've read this series all the way through at least three times, great books. This is NOT game of thrones - no explicit sexual encounters, no nudity, and zero curse words. The author has invented some stand in curse words that his characters use, like "Blood and bloody ashes" which is probably the equivalent of saying "son of a bitch", but that's it. There is a fair bit of violence in the books, and several forms of magic, but it isn't terribly graphic. The author mentions for example that trollocs (one of the evil creatures in the book, created through genetic manipulation in a long ago era) eat humans, but he never (that I can recall) actually describes them doing so.

The characters in the books start out in a small village which gets attacked, and they find themselves swept up in a continent spanning adventure which at first mostly involves running from bad guys, seeing lands they had always dreamed of one day going to, and slowly learning why the bad guys are after them. Along the way they learn a bunch of lessons, including self reliance, that sometimes love is complicated, the burden placed upon individuals in leadership positions, and that the people you choose as family can be as important as the ones you're related to.

The series is very, very long, as Ash mentioned. I'm not sure how long the Harry Potter books are, but several books in this series push upwards of 1,000 pages, so he will have no shortage of things to read for a while (there are 13 books in the series). With that said, there are some options to ease into the books should you wish to make them more approachable. Book 1 was split into two shorter stories a while ago, in an attempt to make them less intimidating for new and young readers to jump into. It sounds like he might not need something like this, but it is an option.
From the Two Rivers: Eye of the World Part One
and
To the Blight, Eye of the World Part Two

The first book was also made into a series of graphic novels. While it is cool to see the story hand drawn in these books, only book one is available in this way, and it will be quite expensive to get the set. This might be a future gift should he really enjoy the series.
Wheel of Time Graphic Novel, Volume One

I cannot recommend these books enough - in a world full of dark and gritty fantasy books, The Wheel of Time is a breath of fresh air. I'm sure your little guy would absolutely love the series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

You should check out the Artemis Fowl series, it is 7 or 8 books.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]