It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Raising Money for Veterans and Firefighters
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey friends - I am always hesitant to post anything money related on the forums (since that's not what this place is about) but this is a good cause and many of you have served in the armed forces, so I thought it would be okay this once :)

I'm running the Tunnel to Towers 5k in September - it's a 5k run in honor of a Brooklyn Firefighter named Stephen Siller.

Here's the story:
On 9/11 he was just getting off his overnight shift when the call came in about the towers being on fire. He drove his picked, loaded with gear to the Battery Tunnel which connects Brooklyn to lower Manhattan (where the towers stood). They wouldn't let him through as the tunnel, for safety, had been closed to all vehicles. He loaded his gear onto his back, left his truck and ran the 3.2 miles through the tunnel to the World Trade Center. When he got there, he joined a fire company helping people evacuate when he got there and died in the collapse of the towers.

For the past 12 years, runners, walkers, the Marine Corps cadets and firefighters from around the world have come out to run the same route in honor of Siller. It's an incredibly emotional run, I've done the past few years.

The Stephen Siller foundation was set up by his parents (with help from the actor Gary Sinise) and the proceeds from all their activities benefit wounded firefighters and soldiers.

I've volunteered to try to raise $1000 for the run this year and to do the run again (going to try to get my 7 year old to run it with me).

If you're anywhere near NYC, you should really come do this run - it's only 5k and it will be one of the most moving and astounding experiences of your life.

Even if you're not (here comes the money part) you can support my run here:

https://www.t2trun.org/campaign/display ... gnId=18510

I know not everyone is in a position to donate so PLEASE don't feel obligated. Money is tight for everyone and I completely understand if this doesn't fit into your life right now. That said, if you want to donate a few bucks, it will go to a good cause!

Thanks!

http://www.thehandsondad.com

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]