It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Man of Steel...mildy spoilerish...you have been warned
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 am 

Saw this movie at the midnight showing and it was a really well done movie...however, it is NOT the homerun they were hoping for.
1. This movie is missing a sense of wonder...there WERE a couple of scene where I went "Wow" at, but that was it...
2. Where was the HUMOR? I can count on one hand how many times I actually laughed...this movie DID have a serious issue to deal with, but had almost no comic relief...where was Jimmie?
3. Where were we? The character that is representative of the audience in the movie? Where was this movie's Hicks? A movie does not always need this representative, however, often times this is where a movie's sense of wonder and humor can come from.
4. Didn't really enjoy Clark's childhood and growing up scenes...having to HIDE who he truly his? This gave a sense that this version of Superman does NOT have full control over his strength or abilities. As in he dare not fight back against any bullying as he might lose what control he has and might hurt/kill someone with his strength. THIS WOULD preclude him having any relationship with ANY woman of 'tissue paper'.
5. This movie, seemed to derive mainly from the Donner films...and ignored the status quo currently in the comics...NOT the first time that a superhero movie has done this, but still goddamned disappointing. The current New 52 running in the DC Comics universe has Superman with Wonder Woman...does NOT look like the movie universe will go this route. It is beginning to look like that the movie universe WILL be different from the comic universe.
6. Holy secret identity Batman...yeah...they really needed to rethink this...not all that secret.
7. 2 VERY MINOR so-called 'cameos' hinting at the larger DC universe...which were, quite LAME. If you want to tease the larger universe, you could have done MUCH, MUCH better. Look at the Marvel movies...those had AWESOME teases. ...remember Cap's Shield?

Overall, a really good film...good action set pieces...fight scenes were very well done...but Warner Bros only hit a triple. If you are a fan of the big blue boyscout, go see this movie...Henry Cavill did a damn good job as Superman. Though it remains to be seen if he can do Clark as well as Chris and Brandon. Guess we will see when the sequel or JL movie shows itself.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel...mildy spoilerish...you have been warned
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:38 am 

My wife and I just watched MOS and this is the end last night back to back.

My thoughts on the movie:

1. First of all, I thought this was the best realized version of Krypton that has ever been in a supes movie, and definitely the main source of wow moments in the film. I wish more time had been spent there, because it really felt like we were seeing something new from a superman film by taking such a long look at his home world, and it really set superman's people up as an advanced alien civilization.

2. I didn't have a problem with the lack of humor, it was subtle and subjective, but for the purposes of the movie, this is thematically definitely not a marvel property. More like The Dark Knight, this is a super hero movie trying to take the source material into a direction that feels believable, and I think that humor in the face of the horrible things happening would have felt off to me personally.

3. Since this movie was trying to be a genesis tale, I think Lois is the closest thing to an audience representation that we could realistically expect. I'm sure we'll get jimmie and some more humor next go around (Cavil is signed for 3 superman appearences) as Clark tries to become more human.

4. I'm surprised you didn't like the childhood stuff, I thought it was dealt with and explained pretty well. With him being bullied as a kid, losing his shite just one time would lead to a dead child, which would have all sorts of legal issues attached that would have bogged down the film. Also, I don't think superman has full control over his strength and abilities. I think he's still learning, and before the events of the film, he never really had a reason to truly flex his super muscles.

5. I'm really not at all surprised the comics got ignored. Every time a super hero movie gets made, they invent their own story to go along with it, just like what is happening with star wars E7. I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning for this is, but I pretty much accept that it's going to happen at this point.

6. I don't think the secret identity was that great of an idea. His secret identity and superman look closer together than they ever really have, and it doesn't seem like something that anyone who has seen him in person would fall for. The only reason I think this works at all, is that almost nobody in the movie outside of the military got a very good look at him throughout the film.

7. I did think the lack of hinting at the larger universe was strange, especially considering that we're two or three years out from a JLA movie. There will be a second superman movie before then, so I guess we'll see what happens then.

I really liked it overall. It definitely had a similar vibe to the recent batman movies, but was a bit less brooding, and a bit more action packed. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel...mildy spoilerish...you have been warned
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 pm 

The thing I think was missed about his childhood is this...He KNOWS he is different. His parents ARE having him hide it...however, the impetuousness of youth, coupled with normal adolescence would mean that there WERE times where he DID REVEL in what he could do...whether under the cover of night or remote location, he WOULD have used his abilities and probably ENJOY them. THIS I felt was missing from the childhood scenes. Having to hide what you are from the public did feel CORRECT in this movie, but it should have been tempered with the having scenes of SHEER JOY that he is able to run at speeds faster than a locomotive and leaping the tallest silos on the farms. NO ONE'S childhood is THAT bereft of joy...they missed this...and it SHOULD have been shown. He IS the BIG BLUE BOYSCOUT...not only does he ALWAYS strive to do right, he enjoys doing so.

As for directors ALWAYS having to tell their own story...I too also understand this, however, it does not mean I have to enjoy it when it happens. Keep in mind one thing however...with this more realistic take, Lois can NEVER be more than a friend. She would NEVER survive a night with this Man of Steel.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]