It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]

Do you prefer the book or the show.
Book 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Show 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Undecided 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: The Walking Dead. Book vs. Show (Will try to avoid spoilers)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I'm sure a lot of you have probably watched the show. Anyone else been reading the books too? I've been reading the books for a long while now. I'm up to #15 of the trades. I think there are 17 or 18 out now so I have a little catching up to do.
Was waiting to watch the show since I watch Netflix which puts me one or two seasons behind. I finally just watched seasons 1 and 2 and was blown away. I had enjoyed the books but the show is way better IMHO. The books are interesting but they've done some weird things to the characters that don't make sense. I don't want to give away spoilers and ruin anything.

I'm glad they didn't follow the outline of the books and instead it seems like they consciously fixed some of the original story's shortcomings. The biggest one being Shane's story. I was riveted watching this poor character, who was actually a good person, get picked apart by the world he found himself in. By the time the shite went down with him and Rick I felt terrible for him. The book just finished him off too quickly and he pretty much only came off as a creep.

Also, Sophia's thread was good. The other character's reactions when they found her...wow. I had mixed feelings about Darryl at first, then within a couple episodes I couldn't understand why they didn't have a character like him in the book. He's a great counter to Rick and Shane. Overall, I think that the characters that appear in both book and show are much improved in the show.

I haven't seen any of season 3 yet. I understand they introduce the Governor. I'll be anxious to see what they do with that thread since this was a part of the story that a lot of people criticized. I personally felt that they should never have had the Governor in the books, it was so stupid and dragged on and on.

Anyway, I'll be stoked to hear your thoughts. Please don't spoil Season 3 for me.

Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead. Book vs. Show (Will try to avoid spoil
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 am 

The Gov is one creepy dude ! But, at least politicians didn't change much. I have not read the comic books ( "graphic novels" ) yet, but hope to. Most people I talk with have Daryl as their favorite character. Love the show ! I know many people can't stand Lori , does she come off poorly in the books ?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Darryl is probably my favorite too. I haven't seen Michonne yet and her and Glen are my favs in the books. Lori is probably about the same but the show tells you a lot more about her (kind of like with Shane). Her worries and motivations. In the books Rick and Lori can both get rather preachy and it can get :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I have only seen the shows and am eagerly waiting for season 3 to start again in February. I've heard the books are awesome and fill in blanks within the show, but 18 books are a little daunting.

Darryl is indeed a great character on the show, as is Glen. I'd say the one that I'm most fascinated by though is Carl. Watching him change from whining child to what we see in Season 3 is equally impressive character development and a tiny bit disturbing. I find myself worrying about him as an adult; will he have empathy and compassion, be more like Shane or Rick, or maybe ( a good thing) Darryl?

What do you guys think of the female characters other than Lori? Maggie, Sophia's mom, or the blond? Hard to discuss the blond without spoilers but I can say that I just do not like her. Don't even feel sorry for her anymore, nor any admiration for overcoming her fears, learning how to shoot, etc. You guys?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really like the show, but never read any of the books. at this point I probably wouldn't want to read the books since it would probably spoil the show for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

There would be some spoilers but not enough to ruin it if the first two seasons are any indication. For the most part I felt I didn't know what was coming. Read the first trade and you'll see how different it was from season 1. Your library might even have it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]