It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Standing Desk Setup
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:16 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Anyone have or had in the past a work or gaming station that was set up as a standing desk? I'm thinking about raising my desk so I'm not sitting down ALL the time.

Post subject: Re: Standing Desk Setup
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shaddoch wrote:
Anyone have or had in the past a work or gaming station that was set up as a standing desk? I'm thinking about raising my desk so I'm not sitting down ALL the time.

one of the engineers that I work with has his desk set up so he has to stand all day while working on the computer. :| I don't know how the hell he can do that. lol

anyway, search for a thread by davich (I think). he built something over his treadmill that might give you some ideas.

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I vaguely recall something like that. Searched for posts by Davitch and posts with the words 'treadmill' (and 'tread' and 'mill') or 'desk,' but didn't find anything relevant. :think:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:11 pm 

Maxwell's Demon .. now Heisenberg had a setup like this on a treadmill. There is a thread in here with pics ..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:19 pm 

Not seeing it .. hmm.

At 2 jobs I have used an adjustable drafting table as a desk so I could stand, sit, or somewhere in-between. Then again, I am an engineer and need it to spread out large format drawings, etc... so it is typical and not out of the ordinary to have or request for work. Old one was manual .. had computer on it too, so I got cable extenders that covered the range of motion and set height for what I wanted coupled with telescoping chair.

This job I have computer at a desk, and have a plan table with automated raising and lowering for my preferred height at any given time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:53 pm 
Condor
Condor

Relevant

http://www.hulu.com/watch/306110/the-of ... s-p1-sr-i1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:42 pm 

I built the same treadmill desk that Maxwell made. That thread is probably gone because this forum likes to eat threads older than 2 years (I propose we let threads live for 5 years, as I ran a forum for long time and it ran fine without much culling).

The desk is an IKEA FREDRIK (the skinny one):
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00115992/

The treadmill is a Horizon Evolve:
http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Fitness-H ... 243&sr=8-2

I won't go into detail like Max did, but you basically take that desk, remove one of the shelves on top, raise the big desk portion up higher so it's taller than the treadmill, and there you go. If you want to use another treadmill that is not compact, you can consider the full IKEA FREDRIK:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60115989/

They come in a birch color too. Look on the site.

I lost a lot of weight due to that treadmill. However now that I've gone back to working at an office, I sit most of the day and gained back some fat. I don't stand all day at the treadmill though, when I'm at home. I have my tv and couched hooked up to sit when my joints are tired (it's not tiring to be on a treadmill for hours, but it hurts my joints, and I'm 31, so not really old). Your situation may not allow the set up I have, so you might just invest in a comfy stool to set on the treadmill should you get tired of walking or standing. Bottom line: the treadmill desk is great, and I'd use it at work if I didn't share an office with others.

I find it funny that there are Skyrim workouts, and workouts for other games, to get people off the couch/chair and get exercise. I just use the treadmill desk so gaming == healthy!

I don't have much more info, but I can answer curiosities. Good luck!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]