Switch to full style
The place for announcements, artwork and general posting!
Post a reply

Netflix Gems

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Thought I'd create a thread for us to discuss all the cool shows/movies we've found on Netflix (or other streaming service).

I've found Trailer Park Boys. Hilarious mockumentary out of Canada following the residents of a Canadian Trailer Park. 7 seasons @ ~22 mins a pop with 6-10 episodes per season. As with any show, you gotta give it a couple episodes before really understanding the characters and the interplay between them. Check out IMDB for reviews. A lot of people call it stoner comedy but I think it goes far beyond that.

I'm also a big fan of Cosmos on Netflix. Carl Sagan walks us through the Cosmos in hour-long episodes, teaching us the science of the stars in a very simplified manner, all while wearing a turtleneck and sportcoat ensemble. God I love that guy.
Last edited by Carl Weathers on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Netflix Gems

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 pm

I hate to admit this but I really liked Romantics Anonymous.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Friday Night Lights, the entire series
Burn Notice
Sherlock season 1---- the awesomeness of this cannot be over stated.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Battlestar Galactica
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead (only season 1 so far)

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 pm

AnxietyClown wrote:Sherlock season 1---- the awesomeness of this cannot be over stated.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

I keep hearing that. I'm going to have to check this out soon. it's been in my queue for awhile.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't start watching Breaking Bad until they put it on Netflix. Amazing show.

Besides that...

Battlestar Galactica
Wilfred
Burn Notice
Shameless (the UK version, I love the US version on showtime and wanted to see the source material)

Just added Sherlock to the queue as well. ^_^

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Some of my favorite tv shows have already been mentioned (Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Walking Dead) and here are some others:
Top Gear (U.K.)
Archer
Drawn Together
Firefly
Nikita (the series)
Weeds

and my guilty pleasure: Desperate Housewives

As for movies, I enjoyed some of these Asian cinema flicks:
The Good, the Bad, the Wierd
IP Man 1 and 2

My daughters are big into Anime now, so they got me so sign up for Hulu Plus so they can watch Bleach and InuYasha, but I am annoyed that Hulu still has adverts even after I pay for their service.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Speaking of Anime, I've also been watching Fruits Basket, which is fairly family friendly, and pretty damn funny.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 am

Just started watching Alphas...very well done

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:55 pm

firefly
sherlock is amazing
sons of anarchy (why aren't you watching it already?)
glad you like trailer park boys, Carl- Davitch would be proud (he was a massive fan)
yes top gear uk is a great time waster.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 am

BRONSON

This movie was way out there, based on a true story apparently. I thought Tom Hardy's acting was pretty good..

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Zerocool wrote:glad you like trailer park boys, Carl- Davitch would be proud (he was a massive fan)

What do you mean was? Haha, good find Carl. Actually, I am seriously considering setting up Netflix so appreciate the suggestions guys.

Blank, I've been watching a lot of Archer lately and the Ip Man's are very good!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice recs guys, I'll add a few of these to my already-overloaded queue.

I tried a few Animes thanks to Netflix. DeathNote and another one (forgot the name) which had to do with a guy waking up naked outside the White House with a cellphone giving him access to a billion dollars. I was going to watch Cowboy Bebop since it came highly recommended, but before I could watch it Netflix dropped it from streaming. I still have a few others in queue (including Archer), I just never have the time to watch them what with Rugby, MMA and TPB each week ;)

Lol Dav and Zero, yeah I love the 'Boys'. Even got my dad watching them. He's clueless about all the stoner stuff, but with such great characters it doesn't matter much. Season 6 and 7 have faltered a bit imo, but I stick with them because they deserve it. I hear they do a live show now, but it never comes West Coast so I'll have to wait.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Oh, speaking of manga I should have mentioned Shinobi: Heart Under Blade. It's a live action portrayal of Basilisk. Very much in the same vein as Naruto.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Jinxter wrote:Just started watching Alphas...very well done

Love that show. With House gone, Alphas is the only show I make time to watch on airing

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 pm

JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 pm

hey carl
they have a feature film too which is epic http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425601/

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Dane wrote:JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI

No way! I almost rented that a couple days ago; going to go add that right now.

Thanks! ^_^
Post a reply