Switch to full style
hardware, software, tech support, its all here
Post a reply

Reliable laptop for retired father

Thu May 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Looking for a good laptop for my dad to replace his current HP laptop. I've always had great luck with Dell, personally, but we're not married to a specific brand. Just no Lenovo.

Any recommendations on brand, where to buy and configuration under or close to the $1k mark? He'd mainly use it for office productivity and web browsing, and is looking for a 15" or 17".

Re: Reliable laptop for retired father

Thu May 05, 2016 5:50 pm

The Dell XPS 15 has excellent build quality and has a $999 configuration.

Thu May 05, 2016 6:45 pm

I was looking at that one this afternoon, but then a co-worker sent me this deal on the Inspiron. Overkill for what he needs, but it should last him a long time.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8719607-dell-in ... src=sticky

Sat May 07, 2016 9:25 pm

No Lenovo? Aww, I love my Yoga 2, you leave my poor Lenovo alone shadd. ^_^

Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 am

Haha, sorry Wes, I had a bad experience with a Lenovo work laptop. Poor usability and so much unnecessary software. You're right, though, a use case of 1 does not a trend make. :P

Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 pm

My sense is that $1k is overkill for web browsing and MS Word. The laptop you linked comes with a 960m mobile gaming graphics card -- you're paying for that and it doesn't sound like its needed.

This is probably plenty:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4577 ... Satin_Gold

Fri May 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Shaddoch wrote:Haha, sorry Wes, I had a bad experience with a Lenovo work laptop. Poor usability and so much unnecessary software. You're right, though, a use case of 1 does not a trend make. :P

In all honesty, I'm not sure I'd buy another lenovo either. Mine randomly tells me all my devices have failed on bootup (restarting fixes it), the screen often flickers rapidly until I turn the brightness up and down a few times, the track pad occasionally freezes up, and the amount of preinstalled software on it is almost insulting.

With all that said, it's also absurdly thin and light, boots up from full power down in less than 10 seconds, and has a pretty killer screen, so it's not terrible, just frequently frustrating.
Post a reply