It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Many. Shiny. Discs.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:32 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

With the exception of some collectibles like Star Wars, I want to purge all of our dvds. And yet, I can't bring myself to do it.

We have between 150 to 200 movies and I'd like to donate the majority of them to the library. Ideally, I'd love to convert them to a digital format and store them on a hard drive. However, that is time consuming and probably a bitch to do because "Big Media" doesn't like copies being made of their (wait, MINE) stuff. I'm conflicted with what to do and wondering if anyone else here has gone through this process. Do we really need to keep all of our Ice Age movies? Would it be too much of a hassle to convert them to a digital format? Just wait for Netflix to have them?

Post subject: Re: Many. Shiny. Discs.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:30 pm 

I know lots of folks do what you're contemplating.

Plex is very popular for managing your library and delivering the content to your devices once you actually have the movies in file form.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Handbrake + your DVD collection + a 2TB HD + Plex = happy

PM me for details.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:25 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Hubby just got home and that looks like what we're going to do as well. We have a 1 TB drive and he already knew about Handbrake and Plex, but didn't bother setting everything up yet. Sending that PM :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:07 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Success!! Got my first movie on Plex :)

I had to get a converter (MakeMKV) and then use Handbrake, but all looks good. Now I'm going to try it on a blu-ray disc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a paid program called DVDFab which is, I'm told, very good at ripping almost anything.

Plex is MAGIC once you get a server up and running. I've been overseas and watched all my media on my iPad with a wifi connection. So sweet.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:42 pm 

I was just talking to Narishma (an old RH guild mate) about this topic not long ago. He has a 20 TB server and built his own interface for accessing it from scratch on Linux, which is gorgeous. If you guys want to really get into this area, I'd be happy to put you in touch with him (and he LOVES this stuff, so I know he'd be happy to talk about it).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:06 am 

Wow, I remember Narishma! How's he doing? Tell him to post here with an update!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:59 am 

He's doing great! He's a Tech Sgt. working on Master Sgt., and just landed a sweet gig doing B-2 specific electronic warfare training for incoming Airmen, which means he sets his own schedule and only has to work days, instead of rotating shifts, so he's pretty psyched. I'll get him to post up a video of his set up, it's nuts. He's taught himself a ton of programming to get it all up and running

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Hey now! My login still works after several years!

As Irm said, I'm an E-6, just hit my 12 year mark in the military and should get promoted to E-7 within the next year. I just took an instructor position, so I will spend the next 4 years teaching the younger troops in a classroom, along with some hands on experience teaching them on the B-2.

Hey now Carcophan! The only warlock who ever came close to touching my dps! Thank you again for making that Core Felhound Bag for me! LOL!

On a different note, Irm texted me about this post, so I'll put up a video of my setup in the next few days, then I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. If I have time, I'll create and upload an image of the Arch Linux home theater operating system I built, with instructions for installing it so you can benefit from my hard work.

Narishma - 70 Human Warlock
Renegade Heroes - lock guru extraordinaire
40/21/0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:42 pm 

Still have the sig and everything, haha! Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:01 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Yeah, I had completely forgotten about the sig until I saw it after my post. I was super excited!

40/21/0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:17 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Here's a link to the original video I made about a year ago and sent to Irm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0d4kpeffgsvc ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Since then, I've added menus for Netflix, Pandora, TwitchTV, YouTube, and Genesis. I've also did some minor tweaks in cleaning up behind the scenes. I can make another video if needed, but I think you get the idea from this one.

Every one of those movies and tv shows are stored on my server, I no longer own any physical copy of the media. Each movie is ripped in full uncompressed video, which means roughly 20gb to 40gb per movie. I can compress them to mp4's, which would save some space but slightly reduce video quality. But that is why I built a 20tb server to hold them all. My server runs FreeNas, an operating system built off BSD, with a Plex client, so every file I can stream all over my house to a second tv with a chromestick, or any cell phone or tablet.

At this time, I have a lot more movies/tv shows than I had in my video. My collection is around 400 blurays and 700 dvds, and maybe 7 or 8 tv shows with full seasons, as well as countless music files.

40/21/0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:06 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

That is incredible and it looks deceptively easy (only because I thought Plex was a breeze to set up). Can I do that stuff without learning Linux? I'm going to show this to my husband and find out from him if it's overboard for us to do right now or manageable.

We used our dvd player to access our content (the remote control has a nice red Netflix button on it). But it's a Sony dvd player and the bastards picked a fight with Youtube, which was my daughter's favourite feature. Ideally, I'd love to have my movies, Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, photo albums, X-box 360 and Nintendo Wii run through Plex (and the Chromecast). Then I'd launch the dvd player right over to our eco waste station.

My progress involved bringing a box of 80 dvds to the library last weekend for donation. The other half are blurays and my computer doesn't have a drive for that. Still felt great to purge half of our dvd collection and see all of the titles in my Plex account :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:34 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Actually, you can use a Windows PC if you want. I prefer Linux for several reasons, but most of which doesn't affect the average every day computer user. Linux was better for me for a lot of things on the back end which you won't really see with typical day to day use.

However, if you have a spare desktop/laptop around that doesn't get any use anymore, you can get a similar setup to mine without too much effort. Download Kodi from the link below. After downloading it, there is a huge variety of custom addons that people have created and tons of information on how to set it up. It even works with live tv as well if you have a tuner. There are tons of customizability options, and if you know any programming at all you can design your own interface that works for you. If not, tons of people have uploaded their own. The possibilities are really endless.

Kodi is by far the best computer program I have ever used. I can not recommend it highly enough. Hands down it is better than Plex for my main setup, although I do use Plex on my phone and tablets. Kodi works very well with the Plex backend on my server as well.

http://kodi.tv/download/

Also, check out https://flirc.tv/ and http://www.myharmony.com/products/detail/home-control/ for controlling the computer from your couch.

My setup has an older intel i5, 16gb ram, 120gb ssd, 4 tb hdd, nvidia gtx460, and bluray burner. You can get by with less than this easily though. I filled up the 4 tb hd so quick that I decided to build my server separately, although I could have just added more drives in it. I went with the server so I could have my own plex backend that is able to transcode the media for me as well as a different raid array so I don't have to worry about disk failures and losing data.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

40/21/0

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]