It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: avast contradiction of malware
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:50 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Okay, I give up. I can't make sense of any of this and it's mostly just annoying. A couple of days ago, avast started popping up with messages that it saved me from malware. It pops up almost every time I watch a video or open a new page. My activity since last Thursday has been spent playing the new expansion on WoW. The only stuff I've downloaded has been updating my addons through the curse downloader.

The only information I could find was that it might be a result of a chrome extension. I don't have that many and avast has told me that they are all safe. I did a full scan and a browser cleanup through avast. I used ccleaner and malwarebytes. The avast pop-ups still persist.

Doing some searches, I came across this list from howtogeek.com. Didn't have any of those extensions that sold out to ad companies. The malware is coming from extensionstats.com and it is being blocked. But how is avast picking up that part and not finding the source of it and how do I stop it?

Post subject: Re: avast contradiction of malware
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:16 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Edited to add that AdwCleaner also failed at fixing this. It found more stuff that the other 3 programs didn't, but I'm still getting notifications from avast.

Post subject: Re: avast contradiction of malware
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

when it comes to AV programs its easy to get false positives and that's why its good to gave a dedicated anti spyware program like Spybot, that being said it could be a video extension from java or flash triggering it, I know for me I get it with some videos on espn website using explorer. when this pop up happens it should tell you where its coming from if not and it just seems to happen on certain sites you can add the website to an exempt list

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]