It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Thoughts and opinions for a laptop / tablet ???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am 

Ok , this is for my dad. Technologically incompetent, though not as bas as some. Primarily for emails, internet, printing, opening and viewing PDF AutoCAD drawings. He will definitely be streaming movies etc once he sets it up. He claims portability would be nice .. so laptop or tablet. Would also like something like a tablet to travel with.

He has always been a PC user. However, now has an iPhone and LOVED my iPad 2 while he was here and had no problems using it. I was always a PC guy, but became assimilated after all the iGadgets invaded the home and was given an old Macbook Pro to use. Typing this on a new 15" Macbook Pro Retina. So long story long .. he can use Mac OS, but familiar with PC as well.

An all in one would be nice like the hybrid HP, Lenovo, etc .. but what is your experience/rumors with people having streaks all over their laptop screens after using it as a touchscreen ? I don't personally see a strong benefit to a touchscreen laptop unless the screen detaches for tablet mode, but that might just be me.

Any fans of the MS Surface ?

If the tablet and laptop played nice together, I also do not see why it could not be 2 separate devices. I was also thinking Macbook Air and iPad2 to hold costs down .. but they could be lower going the PC route I know. Perhaps a desktop with a tablet for roaming too.

Open to just about anything at this point, but want it to be low to middle end of the price range, and something that will likely be used permanently (last 8 years or so longevity wise), No big demands as far as computing power / crunching, just great with media and large PDF's. Ease of use and operation/maintenance. He will likely visit some interesting sites, so will need virus software I imagine.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts and opinions for a laptop / tablet ???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:49 pm 

Is he only going to be opening CAD Drawings or is he also wanting to edit them? Will he be using AutoCAD on this laptop? If he is editing and using AutoCAD, then get him a dedicated laptop workstation. The tablet format will NOT be a good experience for CAD at all...I was tasked with testing a bunch of Tablets because some upper-management types wanted Tablets for themselves and their engineers and for the price to get a Tablet that COULD do CAD (not well, but it did work) you could buy 3 - 5 Laptops that could do MUCH BETTER in terms of CAD performance. Tablets are limited in that most do NOT use a desktop processor...and CAD DOES need a good processor as well as a good Graphics Card in order to function well.

Just my 2 yen...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:24 pm 

I use my Note II for the kinds of tasks you're listing (including typing this post), you might like to expand your consideration to a "phablet". I really love just carrying around a single device generally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 pm 

Sorry for the delay in responding.

As for the CAD, some may be CAD files, but it would be for viewing only. Preferably any *.dwg files will be plotted as PDF's and he will be viewing those.

Not sure of what type is considered a Phablet Noob .. is that the ones where the screen flips around and folds down so it can be used as a tablet ?

The rub here is cost is an issue, but so is the lack of technical abilities and for him to "fix" things. As for ease of use, my experience is nothing beats Apple .. the products work together and no fiddling is required, but they come with a high cost. It is also an unfamiliar OS, but he had no problems figuring out the iPhone or iPad.

The Surface seems like a viable alternative, especially with the expandability and USB that is lacking on an iPad. But I have no experience with the NEW MS OS .. Windows 8 so to speak. Is it as easy and intuitive as an iPad ? How easy to do something like Airplay to show the display on something like a TV, large monitor, etc ?

Still torn on separate devices or single.

Pro of a single: Everything you have is always there. Familiarity. Probably a smaller investment. No "networking" or configuring to make 2 or more devices work together.

Con of a single: If you lose or damage something, you are dead in the water. May lose some benefits that a specialized device like a tablet offers.

Pro of 2 devices: Lose or damage one, you are still ok, though in a decreased way. Specialized purposes and functionality can be taken advantage of (portability, apps, etc).

Cons of 2 devices: Have to make them communicate and share and work together, higher investment (likely), harder to keep track of.

Anything else ?

Mac vs PC folks .. please have at it. Former Gates fan, now MAc fanboy .. though I still think Apple is more dubious on ones wallets and competitors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm 

A "phablet" is basically a large smartphone. I use the Galaxy Note II, but there are phones with screens 6 or 7".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 pm 

To expand slightly on the CAD ... My dad and I are both registered Professional Civil Engineers in CA and OR. There is at least 1 major job to do this summer .. a Sewage treatment plant upgrade in Newell, CA (if interested it is a spot in the ground near OR border .. has a national park there full of indian caves, artifacts, burial grounds, farming, obsidian , etc) .. also site of a Japanese internment camp during WWII whose Sewage system we are working with.

The CAd and design dwg's are left to me which I will be attempting on the Macbook Pro (used MS desktop before, but it died).. he will be in the field needing to refer to the dwg's, details, etc.. until job is done. Do some word processing, spreadsheets, email, etc. Generic stuff, as well as evening entertainment streaming media and browsing internet.

As mentioned he does have an iPhone which will be required to sync with the selected computer, or at least be able to pull pics off of (which can obviously be done on PC as well).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 pm 

Those are nice Noob .. and I am jealous of the size .. but I think for him it will be too much for a phone .. though he is old and sight is an issue .. hmmm ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:15 pm 

Here is a quick video on laptop/tablet hybrids out of CES 2014 which just wrapped up a week or so ago.

http://www.yahoo.com/tech/is-the-laptop ... 89003.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

One thing. When you are asking for a large smart phone/small tablet, don't call it a mini pad. Please.

Yeah. True story. Boss and client in a long conversation about phones etc. Called it that repeatedly. I finally left the room cuz I couldn't stop from laughing out loud. Worst part was having to explain it to each of them the next day.

Phablet is a great word. Use it. Please. For the sanity of every woman listening to your discussions.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]