It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: Wii U - pre-purchase advice wanted!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its that time of year, where I think about getting a console for the family (we don't own one) This would primarily be a kids game center, with my wife and I joining in the fun. My sense, at this point, is that a Wii is best for this (I don't need to play CoD or anything on this console -- do they even make shooters for the Wii?)

Questions:

What's the best 'version' of the Wii to get these days?
Anything I might not immediately consider that I should?
I was thinking of getting 4 controllers and a good selection of games to start, does this sound good to everyone?

Thanks guys
AC

http://www.thehandsondad.com

Post subject: Re: Wii U - pre-purchase advice wanted!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:29 pm 

Well AC...here is my 2 yen...
The console does not really matter...
It is about the games.

First do the research into what games they are going to WANT to play now and MIGHT want to play 5+ years (or more) from now. I know that this can be difficult but you don't want to invest in something that will not be used. I bought both an XBOX 360 and a Wii because I wanted them. I bought the 360 because I liked fighting games and racing games to be played on console and I had to get the Wii for the Wii sports, which DID get some play time. Now however, both my boys (8 and 13 now, but were 1 month and 5 at the time the 360 was released.) BY FAR prefer using the XBOX 360. They almost NEVER play the Wii...mainly due to the fact that the games they prefer are on the XBOX. If they want to play a 'sports' game it is Kinect Sports 1 or 2...the oldest prefers the racing games available on the 360 along with the Halo games, while the youngest LOVES Minecraft and Castle Crashers along with all of the Skylander games and the fighting games I let him play. Neither one of them care to play any of the Mario games as this character does NOT 'speak' to them. Also, both LOVE the fact that nearly EVERY show and a LOT of the movies they enjoy watching can be watched on the 360 via the Netflix and Amazon Prime Video apps.

Again, Find out what your kids WANT to play, test them at a game con (if possible) and then buy the one they WILL use vs the one you WISH them to play. That way it will be money well spent. There is nothing worse than buying a system for $300+ (think about $500 or more...gotta have extra controllers and games) and have it turn into a dust collector because they don't like the games available for it or don't like the games you want them to play.

Lastly, YES the Wii U has the exclusives that only Nintendo has...Mario games and the like, Link, Pokemon, etc...(although Pokemon IS mainly on the 3DS)...the fact of the matter is that the Wii U isn't really selling in big numbers. This means that they will not be attracting a lot of 3rd party games. Also since the Wii U cannot keep up graphically, even if it DOES get the same games they have to be configured to work on a lower powered system which kind of explains why they aren't getting a lot of 3rd party support. I think that ANY console that cannot attract 3rd party support is a niche console and one that is lucky to even be sold...not sure how long the Wii U will stick around.

Either way, find out the systems your kids have already played at their friend's houses and find out the games they liked. See if you can get your show to run a comparison and highlight which console is more family friendly for the upcoming holidays and see which games your kids like the best...then make your decision based on what your kids like and you and your wife don't mind they play.

Good luck on your research...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:17 pm 

Have to agree with Jinx. We have the Wi 2 and it has been OK. My son is 10 and enjoyed the lego games and we all liked the sports type stuff. However at this point he is moving on to HL and TF2. The wi games will eventually run out for kids.
Best system while they are young but eventually you have to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a 4 and 7 year old so I am on the fence. There's nothing on the Wii that interests me and my son - despite my attempts to keep him finger painting until he's 25 - is mostly interesting in blowing shite up.

My 4 year old likes 4 year old girls stuff so whatever I get would have to serve both purposes.

How about this question: If I don't get a Wii - should I get a PS4 or settle for the older model (my kids have never had a console so it won't be a big deal and I'm not chasing the latest game and graphics). Same with XB360 vs XB1.

Also, help me sell my wife on a non Wii console - what are the family friendly games that you guys have played?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm 

Minecraft...sell the building of your own forts/castles/homes in creative mode
Skylanders...kids buy little statues that come to life within the games
Disney Infinity...like the Skylanders with the little toys based on Disney Characters with open world play
Kinect Sports and Kinect Sports Season 2...think Wii Sports without the need of a controller
Kinectimals...virtual animal pets that kids interact with via the Kinect. Our youngest loved it when he was 5 and 6...does not play it now.
Any of the Lego games...they are AWESOME. We all enjoy these...Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Harry Potter and now Lego Marvel Heroes
Forza 4...very good racing game.
Halo games series...we LOVE this. Your kids might be a bit young but I got my oldest and the youngest into at 7 as my wife watched the game and most IS fighting Aliens so she was OK with it. This would have to be a call between you and your wife.

Go from here and look for games you want to play as well as the games your kids want...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

speaking of skylanders, we have a shit-ton of them. Tori really got into the game for awhile but quickly passed everything as it is a little easy for her. Probably perfect for your kids. If you get a console that uses them we could send them your way easy enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:11 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

i have younger nieces and nephews. all of them around your kid's ages. They all love the 360 because of the kinect. I can't stress how big skylanders and minecraft are too. The kid appropriate games on the xbox system are pretty great. I suggest waiting (November 15) when the xbox one and Sony ps4 arrive. I'm personally done with MS. I really like how the playstation system is setup. It's a bunch easier to just get into your game than on the xbox. The new ps4 has a version of the kinect too (i think MS built it for them).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I was just looking through the xbox one release titles and there aren't too many for kids. I'm sure there will be arcade games, etc... two that stood out to me are: zoo tycoon and project spark which appears to be an advanced version of minecraft. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/project-spark best buy is demoing the xbox one before launch. might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm 

Project Spark is ALL my youngest talks about...he has watched EVERY youtube vid available and so have I...considering the fact that you CAN make your very own game using Project Spark is EXACTLY the kind of game I could VERY EASILY get lost within.

Project Spark demos...

Here a team attempts to build a tower defense game in Project Spark from scratch...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks guys, I'm homing in on better ideas of what to get.

Now its about do I jump on the newest thing (ps4 xb1) or accept that no one in my house is a hard core gamer and get a xb360 or ps3.

Skylanders and Minecraft are for which system?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:20 am 

all of them for Skylanders

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pvt. FUBAR wrote:
all of them for Skylanders

and as far as I am aware, the figurines work for all systems so my hook up works regardless.

imo, I'd probably get a ps3 or xbox360. You aren't avid gamers, plus the systems will be super cheap and available used probably with a decent game library. If you can get it on the cheap if you decide to upgrade to a new gen console later you aren't really out anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm 

Minecraft is only on X360 for now...
They keep mentioning that it is coming for PS3 with May being the new, new, new release date. I would NOT hold my breath.
My 2 yen, go X360
Get Skylanders, Minecraft, Kinect Sports 1 and 2, and Kinect Dance Central 3...these are games everyone in the family can have fun with.
Then YOU could pick up some Halo 4, BF4, and other FPS style games...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

can the xbox 360 games be bought used? rented?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AnxietyClown wrote:
can the xbox 360 games be bought used? rented?

yes. Gamespot sells a lot of used games as does Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:10 pm 

Just be aware of the VAST AMOUNT of figures available for both Skylanders and Disney Infinity...
If you go with the Skylanders, make sure you are getting the new base station for the Sklanders Swap Force characters...this way ALL Skylanders will work with the portal. If you go used and get used portal for the first series or for the Giants series you will not be able to use Swap Force characters on that base unit. Swap Force character divide in 2 (top and bottom) allowing kids to create new characters to then take into the game and play.
These games (Skylanders and Disney Infinity) tap into the human "need" to collect and you can end up with quite a collection of small statues.
They are incredibly well made and I have watched my 8 y/o play with the Skylander statues like I used to with my Army Men.

Skylanders Swap Force

Skylanders Swap Force gameplay demo

Disney Infinity trailer

Disney Infinity trailer

Disney Infinity play sets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 am 

Given the choice between the two, I personally prefer my Ps3 to my xbox 360. They both have a good selection of family friendly/mature games, but I think the offerings are deeper on PS3. You can get all the Disney infinity/skylanders stuff, but I would argue that Little Big Planet (1 or 2) blows away any xbox exclusive family games. On the mature game front, I think The Last of Us is probably the best game on any console from the PS3/X360/Wii generation of consoles. On top of that, it has a decent blu-ray player built into it, which the X360 does not, which is nice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank, Irm (and everyone else for their input). Yesterday at work I met someone that might have a hookup at Sony for a PS3 for the family, it would sure make the decision easier!

I'll let you know!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]