It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Mouse Me
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:08 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

As everyone is a gamer here, I know you will understand my sentiment on this topic.

My mouse is starting to decline in performance. I need to replace it soon. It's no longer in production. I have to replace it with something different.

The scroll wheel is worn down and will sometimes scroll in the opposite direction. That's more of a surfing issue than a gaming one. The other issue is harder to pinpoint, but basically when I'm moving around in WoW and either strafe/right mouse click to turn/push-to-talk in vent I get stuck on autorun (very bad when next to a boss or in any situational awareness combat) and vent goes nuts on me.

I've been using the Razer Copperhead for gaming and surfing for the last six years. It has 7 buttons and I have all of them customized and use each and every button every time that I have logged into WoW. This mouse owes me nothing, but finding a suitable replacement isn't looking promising for the features that I love about the Copperhead. If I could have an updated version of the Copperhead, the only extra feature I would want is a couple extra buttons, behind the scroll wheel. That's it.

Guys, share your stories with me while I look around for a suitable replacement. I'm looking for a mouse with 9 to 10 buttons, but not all in one place like the Razer Naga (hubby has one that I might try until I make my own decision). I am NOT fond of all the buttons on one side, since I can only use my thumb to press them which is a very limiting factor with the way that I use my mouse.

Love,
very sad Orvie.

Attachments:
File comment: Blue Razer Copperhead
copperhead_4.jpg
copperhead_4.jpg [ 22.25 KiB | Viewed 14212 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mouse Me
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 pm 

One my 4th Razer mouse in about 10 years?
Started with a Copperhead, then to a DeathAdder, next Tron Razer, now using a Taipan.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-taipan

TECH SPECS
4G Dual Sensor System - 8200dpi
Ambidextrous form factor
Razer Synapse 2.0 enabled
9 programmable Hyperesponse buttons
1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time
Up to 200 inches per second / 50g acceleration

Been using it for 4 months now and LOVE it.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:26 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Four Razer mice in 10 years Jinx? Username suits you then :wink:

The Taipan is definitely at the top of the list. The only thing that has me concerned is the shape of the buttons on the sides. They look like they'd hurt if used a lot and I came across that as a con for it in a review somewhere. My right pinky is my push-to-talk button, so, um, I use that button "often". Having at least one accessible pinky button, while in combat, is important. I can adapt to where the others are, because they are all more of a convenience than an importance.

I finished going through Best Buy and Newegg (my general go-to sites to see what's out there) and I have a list. I found it frustrating on a lot of searches that the gallery pictures rarely ever showed the right side of the mouse. When I'm looking at a range of 9 to 14 buttons, I want to see where ALL of the buttons are placed. :wall:

After doing google image searches for all, I have my list narrowed down to 10 mice that have at least one button somewhere on the right side of the mouse. I will need to go to a store to see if my pinky can reach the buttons on most of the other models.

The top competitor to the Taipan is the CoolerMaster Storm Recon in terms of button placement.

The others on the list:

1. Genius Gila
2. Sharkoon Drakonia
3. CoolerMaster Storm Inferno
4. Tt eSports Black Element
5. Genius Death Taker
6. Logitech G300
7. Steelseries Cataclysm
8. Steelseries Legendary Edition

The types of lasers, amount of dpi and number of buttons all vary between the models. However, I can play WoW with the max graphic settings enabled and have been playing with a 2000 dpi mouse all this time. No matter what I pick out, it's going to be better concerning those specs. Obviously, my first priorities are number of buttons and their placement. My next priority will be the quality of the mouse and how long it lasts. Some of the companies, I don't know about, so that could help me narrow down the list as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm 

Logitechs last forever. I'm currently using a 5-year old G9. The only reason I upgraded (from a MX510, (G500 is the current equivalent)), is because I wanted new shiny. The 10-year old mouse still works perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:45 pm 

I'm pretty happy with my Logitech G700

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Earl, I love Logitech stuff as well. In fact, before I really began to customize my gaming setup (which is coincidentally when I got my razer copperhead as a birthday gift), I had always loved and supported Logitech mice (and any device by Logitech). In fact, if I still have my Logitech mouse in storage somewhere that I had prior to the copperhead, I bet I could plug it in and it would still work perfectly. All I remember is that it was a very contoured design with extra buttons that I used for surfing (srsly, who actually manually clicks the back button while surfing anymore, amirite?).

Razer and Logitech were the first manufacturer's that I checked out in my searches. I did check out the G500, but there are no right side buttons on it. I looked. That's a no go for me, now that I'm so used to having my right pinky push-to-talk key for vent. The only Logitech option on my list is the G300, but I would have to go to a store to see if my pinky can easily reach the button.

After harassing my husband to look at all 10 mouse options that I had up on my computer, it looks like the Storm Recon is going to be my next mouse. It's stupid cheap for exactly what I said I wanted in my first post and from a reputable company that we actually know about (unlike Sharkoon - could be a solid company, but don't know). For the record, the two steelseries mice were taken off of the list, because they are known to break easily.

I'm a creature of habit type person and don't go out to look to replace something that works for me just because something that's the newest and greatest is available. For gaming, my keyboard is the first generation Logitech G15. I have almost all of the 18 macro keys setup to make things easier. I don't even like the new models, because they're not made with the lcd flip screen like the first gen model. My other key gaming piece is the Nostromo n52te keypad. The nostromo and my mouse are the key to almost everything I do in WoW. Now, I need a new mouse.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:03 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

BlankBB wrote:
I'm pretty happy with my Logitech G700

No pinky button. I looked at that one too. So much potential on it though. I guess it just depends on how you have your setup. I need to be able to use three keys at once on my mouse (thumb, middle, pinky).

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Update:

I went out today and checked out the mouse models with various pinky button placements. Some were immediately taken off the list because they were meant more for the ring finger.

I ended up with the Storm Recon and I've already set up the buttons and tried it out in WoW. I love it already! It's not the sexiest looking mouse, in fact quite the opposite, but it certainly has it where it counts. I paid just over $30. That seems pretty freaking unbelievable for how rich it is in features and customization.

This is a story with a happily ever after ending Image <---need to add princess smiley

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 pm 

Hey Orvie, I recently upgraded my el cheapo mouse to something with more buttons for Chivalry. I'm very satisfied with it and the reviews on Amazon are stellar. It's the 'CM Storm" mouse, $26 - $5 rebate so it's much cheaper than some of the other mice I've looked at. I know nothing about gaming mice fyi, only know this worked out well for me (it's actually my first 'gaming' mouse).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TE ... egtojsd-20

Lol looks like you just got one in the same product family, glad you like it!

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:17 am 
Eagle
Eagle

Hey Carl~

I'm really impressed with this mouse. For the price of it, I really have this nagging feeling that it HAS to be too good to be true. Nine buttons that are all customizable (WIN) is the big one. The key click sound is very quiet which is nice anyway, but for anyone who spams mouse buttons, I could see this being a good appreciation for that kind of feature. What gets me though is that with extra effort for softer key clicks, customizable buttons, a rainbow spectrum of colours that I can change (1. not just the normal 3 that most mice offer. 2. I can actually have three different colours on my mouse at once), onboard memory, 5 profiles, script and macro support, a reputable company and all of the dpi/polling speed/mouse sensitivity options, this mouse should have cost me a lot more money. That is some serious bang for buck on this baby.

I'm still getting used to the new placement of the side buttons because they were lower on my Copperhead, but this thing is a beast. The aesthetics are growing on me, now that I got to change the colour of the lights. Who knows, maybe I will be back here in less than a year with issues. The warranty is 2 years though which makes this even more confusing why I have such a potentially fantastic product at such a cheap price.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

I love the Logitech G700 - I was initially put off by the lack of a pinky button, but modified my keybinds to do a lot of shift+button commands, and changed my strafe keys to Z and C, leaving Q and E open as ability keybinds. For abilities I map up and down on the scroll wheel, mouse button 4 and 5, and keyboard keys 5-9 on the mouse buttons, and then set up shift+scroll up/down, shift+MB 4 and 5, and shift+5-9 buttons, which gives you 18 keybinds just on your mouse, and all available with your thumb or index fingers.

I find with this set up I can map damn near every single ability to a mouse button, or within easy reach of my left hand (I leave the 1-4 keys alone as they are easy to reach from the WASD hand position, and as stated earlier, changed strafe so that Q and E are used for abilities too).

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:08 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Shift button on my Nostromo (the 11 key which my left pinky rests on nicely). Ctrl and Alt on my two left buttons ( using right thrumb) on the mouse. That gives me a total of 48 (4 bars times 12 buttons each) buttons in WoW. :2fer:

I actually use the Control button to control my pet on my hunter. I really like the thumbpad on my Nostromo for movement as that frees up the "WASD" keys that a keyboard gamer would use.

Tangent: Wouldn't it be incredibly useful to put a thumbpad on a gaming type keyboard underneath the spacebar? Someone needs to contact Logitech...

Edit: Irminsul, all cordless mouses were exnayed (sp?) because I would be guaranteed to cause a wipe due to loss of control and movement on my toon :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:45 am 

I actually run mine corded most of the time - the mouse has a rechargable battery that you charge up by plugging a proprietary cable into the top of the mouse. It's really cool and seamless to switch back and forth between the two. Only time I use it cordless is with FPS games where the wire catching on something will cause a shot to miss.

I had thought about adding alt and control + keybinds to mine as well, but honestly no class in any mmo I have played has ever had that many abilities that I 'need' to have them all key bound - plus, at a certain threshold I think I would start to forget what was bound to what lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 pm 

Irminsul wrote:
with FPS games where the wire catching on something will cause a shot to miss.

And all this time I thought I was the only one with that problem!

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm 

This is a thing:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-accesso ... use-bungee

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]