Switch to full style
hardware, software, tech support, its all here
Post a reply

Samsung Galaxy Note II as a desktop...

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 am

Hi, I'm writing this at my desk with my normal keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers... but the computer driving it all is my smartphone. It took some configuration and smart app selection, but the end result is pretty damn good I
have to say. There are a lot of nuances that I think the software providers need to work on (the programs are still optimized for touch/gesture and not keyboard/mouse), but there is plenty of power to drive it all if the apps support it. Suprisingly, the biggest issue I have so far is a lack of support for copy/paste.

On the plus side, it's completely silent and if I want to move or go somewhere I just pick up my phone and whatever I'm doing travels with me.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note II as a desktop...

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 am

does the note have an HDMI out? I didn't know it could output to a monitor. that's pretty sweet!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 pm

It does support HDMI output, but you need to convert the mini-USB port to use it. I have a charging/docking station that supports HDMI out, Speaker out, and 3 USB ports.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 pm

That is pretty cool. Pic?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Sounds cool. What kind of phone?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm

The phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note II. I'll borrow my wife's phone to take a pic GI.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

What copy/paste functionality are you looking for?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 am

BlankBB wrote:What copy/paste functionality are you looking for?

Any, it just doesn't seem to work at all without a touch screen. Sometimes I'm able to copy an entire entry box (like a url) but that's about it. There doesn't seem to be a way to select a text area without using gestures, or at least I haven't found the way.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Presuming it is the same on my Galaxy S3 phone, try holding your finger on the text you want selected for a few seconds - the word you want should be highlighted, and you can expand the selection.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Maybe the mouse way is to hold LMB over a word to bring up the highlighting and expansion cursors?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Holy mother of DOD, that worked Carl! You are THE MAN! :notworthy:

:TC:

Would be nice if I could find some documentation!

:soapbox:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm

LMAO
"I just opened my mouth and out it came!"

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Maybe you can be the documentation? Set up a quick website/blog and give the step-by-step...a comments section would surely attract more tips, and proper monetization can earn you a few free lunches along the way ;)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:17 pm

I doubt I'd allocate the time to do it justice Carl, but it is a good idea.

One update, I've been using Netflix on this and it works perfectly. So I can see people doing this rather then getting like a roku so similar webtv sort of thing.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 pm

I'll tell ya, this is the first smartphone I've been comfortable posting from.
Post a reply