It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: graphics going haywire on me for no apparent reason
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Hey all,

Since I've been playing again with mists of Panderia I've been having an issue where I'll be going just fine at 30-50 fps, and then suddenly it will drop to 2 fps for no real reason. I'll be flying, or fighting and that I can see as being graphically challenging, but sometimes it happens when I'm fishing and literally haven't moved for 5 minutes with little to no background change. the fps will drop for 15 or so seconds and then it will fix itself.

I've tried turning down my graphics to fair (was at good) but it made no difference. I looked at my virus scan and put it on game mode so it won't do things when I'm gaming, but that didn't fix anything. I'm at a loss for what it might be.

I'm not sure if I need more RAM, I only have 4 gig. How would I tell what kind I need to buy? Can I tell without opening the box?

anyways, I appreciate any input ya'll can give me. Thank you.

my system specs are:
Windows 7 32 bit
4 gig RAM
Intel Core 2 2.13 ghrz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (driver version 306.23)

anyways, thanks!

Steve

Post subject: Re: graphics going haywire on me for no apparent reason
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Steve!! how ya been bro?

I am by no means the computer expert, but I'd say it's your graphics card isn't up to the challenge. Those are basically the specs I had before I upgraded to my current system and I had to turn my stuff down for mists too. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:58 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

bummer, I bought this card when cata melted my last card (literally, the fan stopped working and it burned out).

I'm good! just trying to find a job again, they're eliminating my department at the end of December so I'm just having trouble staying employed right now :(

how are you? is your kiddo doing well?

steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:52 pm 

Steve! Hey now!

I think Ash is probably on the right track, it sounds like you are doing all the right things on your side, and it might just be your vid card being on the low end. Something else possibly worth checking out is a program called Advanced System Care - it has a "turbo boost" function built into it that you can turn on before you play, which shuts down a bunch of unnecessary background processes, which it turns back on when you tell it to deactivate the boost mode. I get 10 extra fps out of it personally.

Hope you're having fun messing around with the xpac, and I hope all goes well in your job hunt. ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:44 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

bah, I was hoping there would be a solution without having to buy anything. ah well. is this program a free program you speak of (I guess I'll google it anyways). I just want the game to stop messing up. it did it while the map was open earlier. the map! how taxing can that be.

steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm 

The program is totally free - the pay version just comes with a couple extra bells and whistles. I'm hoping that if it's a background process causing the problem that this program's boost mode will fix it, but who knows. ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:32 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

well it can be a number of things, per the systme requirements they suggest a 8800 or better and you are basicly a step above that ,as for the problem it can be slight over heating issue or your psu struggling( dont know what you have for a psu). if you are not experiencing this issue on any other game it could be a issue with the game itself which is not uncommon with new game to have graphic issue or memory leaks.

what psu do you have and also have you tried running a grapic card monitoring tool to see if it is over heating.most video card manf offer a free tool to download.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

it did a big scan and now it wants me to pay $30 to fix all the problems with my computer which I'm tempted to do :(

steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

MATRIX wrote:
well it can be a number of things, per the systme requirements they suggest a 8800 or better and you are basicly a step above that ,as for the problem it can be slight over heating issue or your psu struggling( dont know what you have for a psu). if you are not experiencing this issue on any other game it could be a issue with the game itself which is not uncommon with new game to have graphic issue or memory leaks.

what psu do you have and also have you tried running a grapic card monitoring tool to see if it is over heating.most video card manf offer a free tool to download.

I will look into this. I'm not entirely sure what a psu is so I will do some googling. thanks for your input.

steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

PSU= power supply unit.

when you use advance system care make sure you are downloading the free version

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

se;ect expert mode and under the cae option select what you want fixed that is all free, now there are additional tools listed as pro on the program and that does cost money

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:17 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

what one weird thing is I have been trying to get McAfee off my computer for forever. I can't seem to uninstall it though because everytime I try it fails to open, which is why I don't want it in the first place. it seems dumb that I can't remove a program without having to open the program. It was a waste of money :(

steve

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]