It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Parental Control/Monitoring
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:52 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

I've been looking for a software program that will give me some parental control over the kids' computers. They LOVE to watch youtube videos, so filtering isn't a big concern of mine right now, but it's a safety net that I'd like to have anyway. The big feature that I want right now is to set time limits on the computer. My idea would be one that pops up a screen saver ending a session that can only be activated by us parents who would know the password. I don't need one to shut the whole unit down, but giving a 5 minute warning would be nice before it prevents any more surfing after a certain time limit.

My son has always worked better with a timer or a beeper as a warning than our voices. He pushes and fights us, but he'll do exactly what he's supposed to if the stove timer goes off. However, being 9 years old, he's starting to push us with computer usage and has been starting to sneak back onto his computer. Instead of turning this into a fight, I'd like to have a program do the "parenting" for me.

His system uses Windows XP and it's supposed to have the Parental Control features, but it's not there for me (I checked to make sure I was the administrator). Like I mentioned, I'd like to have a program that also does some screening, should the kids start surfing on the internet instead of just youtube for right now. For computer protection, I have avast running on his computer.

Post subject: Re: Parental Control/Monitoring
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

look to see if your internet provider give one for free i know my ISP give free mcafee family protection whick can do the thing you are looking for so i would start there

Post subject: Re: Parental Control/Monitoring
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 am 
Eagle
Eagle

I never thought about that, but I had a program recommended to me that looks like it will do everything I want. It's called K9 Web Protection and it's free.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]