It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: best ipad apps?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

okay, i broke down and bought an ipad. without spending more than, say, $40 total what are the MUST HAVE apps for a Non MAC guy who JUST bought his first apple device.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

Post subject: Re: best ipad apps?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:25 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

The iPad app store searches are organized by device. You get the iPad (higher resolution) apps and iPhone apps which require stretching the image or straining your eyes -- go with the former when possible. Another way to discover apps is to use the "Categories" tab as a guide.

That said, here are a handful of apps I use a lot:

Pandora, Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go! If you subscribe any or all or those, they are must-have.

A few other apps I can recommend right away are magazine/newspaper apps. iBooks, (official book store app) (Pulse, Slate, Huffington Post, NY Times), and Zinio , which is a newsstand for many popular magazines.

My favorite is The Daily, a magazine that was conceived and designed with the iPad (and other tablets) in mind. It is subscription-based but you get a free week-long trial when you sign up. In similar vein of these apps, is Flipboard -- this app has a beautiful magazine-like layout for your social networks!

I hear the official Apple apps for productivity are pretty good but I have not used most of them myself. These include Keynote (Powerpoint but more hip), Pages (Word), Numbers (sort of like Excel?), iMovie, and the one I actually use...GarageBand. If you have interest in music and have some knowledge of theory (and I know you do), it's fairly easy to construct simple music using this app.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:50 pm 

Time offers a free app for print subscribers to download current and past issues.

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:29 pm 

I'm a bit behind on this discussion, but I would recommend pages for a MS word substitute (files can be exported/emailed as pdf and doc files for use with other programs on your PC). Kindle and Nook both have free E-reader apps and any books you may have previously purchased (if you have an e-reader already) you can transfer to your iPad free of charge. The iPad doesn't come with a calculator app, so you may want to pick one up too - there are several good ones for .99 cents. Google has several good apps for their numerous services and most of them are free as well. It has nothing to do with productivity, but I highly recommend sword and sworcery as well. It plays like a mix of a psychology experiment and a throwback to old school 8 bit gaming, has a wry sense of humor, a tie-in to social networking (twitter in particular - but it's not mandatory), and amazing sound. If you do pick it up, play it with headphones.

In addition, I rather enjoy evernote. I use it for all sorts of things like reminders and quick memos to myself. I have an evernote notebook just dedicated to different wines I've tried with a picture of the bottle and a quick note about where I bought it, how much it was and sometimes an audio recording with some thoughts about it as a reminder. I use evernote in school as well. Without leaving the app you can type notes about lectures, take pictures and record audio of the speaker. It's very flexible.

There are plenty more I'm sure I'm not thinking of, and by now you've probably discovered them yourself anyways :).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Irm --- I'm knee deep in my ipad these days, here's what I really enjoy:

Spotify
Facebook (new ipad version of the app this week)
Garage Band
NPR
HBOGO
netflix
Pandora
NY Times App
Evernote
Good Reader (great app, way more than a pdf and file reader)
QuickOfficePro ($20 but it's most all the functionality of MS Office)
Asphalt 6
Words/Friends
Road Trip
Tiger Woods Gold 12

I use the ipad, overwhelmingly, for video viewing when i travel (12 hours a week on planes right now). You can get a full season of a show (22 hours of content) for about $40 (tops, sometimes less). You can rent movies for $4 or less. Its been a great purchase.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 pm 

I forgot to add the PBS app to the list. You'll never miss Antiques Road Show again ;)

I didn't even think about the NPR one, good catch.

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:04 pm 

Flipboard. Best news reader/RSS feed. I can get wsj, ustoday, hacker news, MIT Tech Review, and a lot more in one app.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]