It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Life sans cable TV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

We're contemplating ditching out cable TV service in favor of online content, Netflix, etc. We have an HDTV, Blu-ray and Xbox that are all capable of streaming content, and we stream Netflix regularly, but we haven't tried to run anything through our laptops (one Dell, one Mac).

Anyone else do this, and do you have any recommendations on how to set it up?

Post subject: Re: Life sans cable TV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

netflix + streaming + hulu is good.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:34 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

im sure it can be done with laptops, but it might be a good investment to get a non-essential comp to deal with this issue, would also be great for recording. I have done this with desktops or compact pcs but never tried with laptop due to the weak quality and the desire to record.

also I haven't had a TV for years, only things I miss out on are conversations about the bachelor, I still see most of the shows I like via hulu or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:46 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

being that i work for a local cable company i get to see how some of this impacts people directly if you want to cancle your cable you may want to invest in a digital antena to get you local channels.one issue you are most likely going to run in with hulu and netflix is all the restrictions that the broadcast companys are trying to place on them like right now showtime trying to block all content on netflix and as most of you know that the studio have a 30day wait period before a new movie can be shown on netflix well now some broadcast companies like abc and other are trying to do the same think on regular shows and you have to wait 30 days and with hulu they trying their hardest to make them charge their customer infact i think comcast is trying to buy them out

the second thing to worry about depending on your provider is that more and more companies across north america are starting to enforce their bandwidth caps and charging overages like cell phone mins you may wants to check what your cap is and how strongly or losely they enforce there caps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:04 pm 

FWIW, I've been able to watch Netflix on my mini-Laptop (MSI Wind U230 Light running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, upgraded to 4GB) and the playback is fine over WiFi, at home and even at a local Starbucks. Playback quality is good even at the Starbucks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:03 pm 

I can confirm streaming on a $7.99 Netflix account on at least four devices (PS3, laptop, wife's work computer and Ipad). PS3 and laptop are WiFi connected, Ipad is 4G WiFi through Hotspot.

I know streaming works concurrently w/ Ipad and PS3, not sure about the other two.

You may already know, but if you get a VGA cable for your laptop you can hook it up to any tv that has a VGA connector. I do it for all the free UFC Facebook fights that are streamed, because 32" is better than 15" ;)

Sounds exciting Shaddoch, ditching those big bills for small ones :)

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]