It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Connect Ipad 1 to hotspot?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm 

I need some help guys. My dad's current room is in a wifi blind spot and he can't get online with his Ipad as a result. I spoke to the nursing facility and offered to buy an access point for them if they would place it directly outside his room, but it's a no-go.

Now I hear about these hotspot things, and it sounds like they would work perfectly for what I need. Here's my requirements, let me know what you think:

1) Dad has WiFi-only Ipad, but his room has no WiFi access.
2) Would like to avoid contracted hotspot service; Month-to-month is best.
3) Need enough data to watch a lot of Netflix streaming.
4) My current cell plan does not include data, and none of us have smartphones. I'm open to tethering but am not currently outfitted for it.

Is a hotspot the best way to get the Ipad online or is there a different/better method? I'm not completely averse to buying an Iphone or something similar and upgrading my cell plan since my wife might need it in a few months for business...so if that's a good, viable option let me know.

Any help is appreciated here guys. My dad is still in that place for a few months so I'm trying to make it more bearable.

EDIT: Now I'm hearing about this Clear hotspot. It gives unlimited BW for 4G coverage. Aside from any other recommendations, do you guys if a 3G WiFi Ipad would work with a 4G Clear hotspot? I've never known what 3G and 4G refer to since I'm still in the dark ages w/ cell service.

EDIT 2: I think I have it figured out guys, from what I've read the Clear 4G hotspot will work for the 4G Ipad.

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

Post subject: Re: Connect Ipad 1 to hotspot?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One consideration is the battery life of the 3G hotspot device. My wife has one from Verizon, and it only lasts a few hours. It's great for providing internet access to 5 wireless deviced (ipads, ipods, laptops, whatever) but to charge you need a USB port, not always available on some devices (like ipad). We are still grappling with the same issue as you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:42 am 

There are wall plug usb chargers GI, I use one for the sprint hotspot that I use while traveling. I don't see why that wouldn't work with the verizon one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 pm 

For my dad's application he has a wall outlet right next to his bed so I don't anticipate any charging issues (I've read about them too GI).

So I took the plunge, ordered Clear 4G unlimited mobile service w/ hotspot. Cost me $188 for the device, activation and first month (I didn't opt for the 2-yr contract). Every month is $45, but we shouldn't need it more than a few more months I hope. Should arrive Thursday or Friday. I'll update this thread with success or failure, but I'm pretty confident this will work and I'll finally have him online and streaming Netflix from his room at the home.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:45 pm 

Well it's a win/win:

1) I found out Friday that they're going to place a repeater in my dad's room to get him the facility WiFi signal. However, it might take a couple weeks.
2) Screw the wait, I hooked up the 4G Clear hotspot in his room today. He's on fire with it, Netflix and everything else is no problem. $45 a month w/out contract, unlimited bandwidth, works great for us.

And the thing runs from the wall outlet. The battery life is only about 3 hours but that won't matter for our application.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 pm 

cool, a lot of these things (all of them?) have a 30 day return policy. If they get the repeater going fast enough you might be able to return it and only be out the partial on the first month.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]