It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Flash
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am 
Eagle
Eagle

I think Apple was onto something by not allowing Flash, because it is being a p.o.s. for me. I'm using Google Chrome and have uninstalled/reinstalled Flash many times even though it's supposed to be integrated. Anyway, it works for a bit and then I end up getting the message:

The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash

Googling the message just brings up a bunch of other people incredibly frustrated with the same issue and no one (Chrome guys or Adobe guys) have a solution.

I have 4 web browsers on my computer and Chrome is the one that's the best for other than the Flash issue. Right now, I'm considering reformating my computer and just having blind faith that it will hopefully work.

Any real solutions out there?

Post subject: Re: Flash
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I am having same issues with flash, also mine crashes frequently when using a streaming site. Youtube does on occasional too.

Mine started after the most recent update if I remember correct. I have also tried to reinstall it. I don't think reformatting is the answer, unless you keep it at one of the stable versions. I'm just going to tough it out until they update again, but since you said Adobe hasn't an answer.. I am also confused to why they haven't sent out an update to address this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm 

What are you doing with flash that causes it to crash? For example, if you're watching an hour long video, that requires a couple gigs of memory. If you run out, that can cause it to crash. It's funny, because for me Chrome seems to be the most stable with Flash. Try uninstalling/reinstalling chrome to get the default bundled version back. If it really is just the current version of chrome/flashplayer, you might just have to switch to firefox whenever you want to watch something. (The new FF4 is pretty cool, too).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Earl,

I have noticed it crashing when I watch Ustream and sometimes Youtube. I also never have got into Chrome, always have been pretty happy with Firefox. I will try uninstalling it, and trying Chrome.. Though with uninstalling the browser I assume that it will want Flash reinstalled or use the current version that seems to have problems.

Also, I was having blue screens of death on my newer ASUS laptop and I think that is probably the culprit. The thing is: I haven't had a blue screen crash in months since I did quite a bit of troubleshooting and trying other solutions besides just a memory test (through Win7). So sooner or later I need to send the machine in and use the warranty before it runs out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:30 pm 

Another thing you can try is uninstalling chrome and/or firefox and use the ninite installer to install everything at once - I've used it and it works well - the best part is that it doesn't add any of the additional crapware, just the stuff you want. It also does multiple installs in one sitting, so you just let it run and you have all the stuff you want.

http://ninite.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:40 am 
Eagle
Eagle

Okay, I'll try uninstalling all of my web browsers. Any quick way of saving all of my bookmarks?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 am 

Both Firefox and Chrome have bookmark export features. In fact, I think Chrome can read in Firefox's export file.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am 
Eagle
Eagle

Yep, I had a girlie moment where I spoke first and then looked into it :roll:

I uninstalled Chrome, Firefox, Opera and everything from Adobe, used CCcleaner to get rid of all the leftovers, restarted my computer, installed Chrome and Flash through BlankBB's suggestion and have Chrome running again. Now to see if it all worked (dun dun dun....)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:00 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

i was having a flash problem where it wouldn't update and this is what i did: i had my buddy bring his laptop over and we checked the version i had- it was old and i couldn't update it so my buddy d/l'd the newest version and saved it to a usb stick which i used to install it on my laptop. it worked but it was weird problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 am 
Eagle
Eagle

Back to square one :( Flash is once again giving me the same error. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

Orvie wrote:
Yep, I had a girlie moment where I spoke first and then looked into it :roll:

Now to see if it all worked (dun dun dun....)
Hahaha! :roll:
Orvie wrote:
Back to square one :( Flash is once again giving me the same error. Thoughts?
Might be what I think is wrong with my machine: Hardware. If you can get your hands on a stick of RAM and swap it out with the ram you acquired, and then test if problems are still occurring, but if you have 2 or more sticks of ram try taking one out at a time and try to isolate them and figure out which one is bad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:57 am 

As Fearfax said, it could be a hardware issue with your memory(RAM). That will be a tougher fix if you don't fiddle with hardware much.

You can also try an older version of Flash. You should be able to run sites just fine still, but sometimes a newer version can cause crashes in some machines till Adobe fixes it. Download an older version here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

I recommend starting with the latest and going backwards from there if you are still experiencing crashes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 am 
Eagle
Eagle

I'll try this out as soon as I can. Computer had a malfunction this morning so it could be hardware. I'm going to back up everything and probably try a reformat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

Latest update:

I ran memtest two nights ago and let it go for 9 hours. All was good.

I installed adobe flash square, based on a recommendation from a fellow RH member. It worked last night and this morning, but now it has stopped working again.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 pm 

My work computer started having a similar issue. I think it's related to a display driver problem. You wouldn't happen to have an Nvidia GPU, would you? I'm updating my driver as we speak.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:35 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

ATI 1gig here and having same problems still, rarely happens anymore since updating everything. Most of the time it is when I have multiple tabs and programs open and I click back a few minutes then they all crash.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

I think I finally narrowed down the problem!

I deleted two Chrome addons that I had running and haven't had the issue since then. One was FastestChrome, which was based off of Fastest Fox and the other was Adblock Plus for Chrome (beta).

I noticed that FastestChrome was actually slowing down my performance when it took too long to load the next page. I then thought of deleting the Adblock beta and getting rid of both of them has made me a happy Chrome-y :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]