It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: iPad 2
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:42 pm 

That thing looks pretty sweet. Never got the gen 1, but if I had disposable income I would have been all over it. Curious to see what the 1st gen drop to after the release of the 2 on the 11th.

Anyone gotten there hands on one or got praise or horror stories off the gen 1 ?

Post subject: Re: iPad 2
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 pm 

Let me start by saying that I went in to this purchase with an open mind towards Apple...even 6 months ago I was pretty neutral towards Apple. Ain't the case now after experiencing the Ipad, Itunes and everything else associated with Apple.

I have a gen 1, waste of money imo. Yes it has some coolness to it, but it ain't worth $500.

Pros:
Quick access to read email
Quick access to 'apps'
Quick access to youtube?
Battery life

Cons:
Price
Even free apps require you to register your billing info w/ Itunes
No flash (very big problem for me)
Awkward email access if you don't go through an app
Awkward interface for internet search or email replies
No flash (wait I already mentioned that)
No multi-tasking

I've also read that it's very fragile, like drop-on-the-carpet-and-it'll-break fragile. I haven't dropped it so I don't know. I've come close though since the charge cord is pretty short and easy to hook on an arm or leg while using.

So for $500 (I think the total was ~$560 after Apple's gracious $10 discount), it's a waste of money. I bought a dual-core laptop for $350 that lets me do much much more. My Ipad experience has caused me to detest Apple, especially the whole requirement to give them my billing info even to access 'free' apps. Did I mention it won't run flash? Hell I can't even see my page view stats on Associated Content because they're displayed in a flash widget.

BTW, I bought it for my dad while he's convalescing. He's an Apple zombie and had no problem with the price. I advised him that he 'might be disappointed' based on the reviews I'd read, but regardless he can't give an assessment since his current room doesn't have internet access. True to zombie form though, he just told me today how 'Jobs' is releasing the Ipad 2 and that it has 'two cameras' and is 'faster'. He must have forgotten how disappointed he was after he found that Noobiees 'how would you fix the budget' website wouldn't work because it was displayed in flash. Must've also forgotten how disappointed he was when he couldn't watch the UFC weigh-ins because they were flash-based too. He's a true zombie.

My grand plan to put videos on there for him to watch failed when I learned that Apple won't let me drop AVI, WMV or MPG files into the Ipad. My grand plan to use Hulu for him to watch videos failed when I learned that Apple requires you to pay for Hulu Premium, and the Hulu website will not work on the Ipad. I could pay for videos or movies, but I already paid over $500 for the thing...I mean, how much more must I pay for this thing?

I gave the thing a shot with an open mind, I really was pretty excited to try it out. I was disappointed, but I'm more disappointed to see how gullible the Apple masses are. It's just plain weird, why do they buy everything that comes out and rationalize everything with 'it's about the experience'?

Granted I am Mr Cheapo, but whereas I'd spend a few bills on a new laptop, I honestly wouldn't even spend $100 on the Ipad. It just doesn't do anything that justifies spending that much money on it. Great, so you can awkwardly surf non-flash websites and check your email quickly. So what? No cds, no dvds? No way to do actual work?

If my dad doesn't have it with him, or I have it at home for recharge, I mostly just use it to listen to youtube music or play an app game while I'm chilling out pre-TF2. Sure as hell ain't worth $500 though. I'd pay $50.

That help Fubar, lol?

The Cannabis Gardener Grow Website
Get Stoned with Ron Black Room Productions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 am 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

hey carl, there's a vlc player that will play avi's (I use it on my iphone) and the google app is awesome for reading emails. no flash but for me, not really a bother.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 pm 

Zerocool wrote:
hey carl, there's a vlc player that will play avi's (I use it on my iphone) and the google app is awesome for reading emails. no flash but for me, not really a bother.

I agree that reading emails through the basic mail app is very easy, I just find it awkward to compose or reply...for $500 I don't want awkwardness. Whoa, I said the same thing to a hooker in Vegas once!

VLC plays AVI, but how do you get AVI copied to the Ipad (since everything goes through Itunes)? I've seen converters, but they cost money? If you know an easy, free, legal way please post it and I'll get some stuff on there for my dad. But just as a case in point for Fubar, I'd rather buy a fully-functioning laptop for cheaper and have no headaches at all.

I should add that the Ipad is cool, the design is great and the interface for reading anything with an app is good. I just don't see any justification for buying one in lieu of a laptop...just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carl Weathers wrote:
...for $500 I don't want awkwardness. Whoa, I said the same thing to a hooker in Vegas once!

lol!!! :lol:

I have heard a lot of similar complaints as carl's wrt the ipad. a buddy of mine is looking into this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/dell ... uo-review/

I'm not in the market myself, so I haven't researched it, but it sounds perfect to me!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

argh, i guess the vlc player was pulled from the store. it works great on my iphone...keep an eye out for it as it may pop up again.
a recent story:
http://lifehacker.com/#!5643124/getting-the-most-out-of-vlc-for-ipad
have you thought about hacking it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:05 pm 

Nah I don't want to waste any more energy to hack it, but it does look like VLC player will solve some of my issues since I can import AVI. I'll give it a shot, but if that damn Ipad so much as beeps in refusal, I'm throwing that sucker at the wall.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To load movies on VLC you go to iTunes, then apps, and it gives you a list of apps you have loaded that can transfer files, you click on VLC and it's something like "add" and you an select files. avi plays fine. But I agree, I don't like being tied to iTunes. Honestly though, after dealing with an iPhone and a DroidX, I hate the DroidX, and I love to hack and tinker. But I think a lot of that is due to Motorola using their own version of Android. Swype is pretty darn cool though...

If you hate the iPad I would sell it although a few weeks back you might have gotten more... :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm 

Im with carl on the whole Itunes issues.

I actually jailbroken my Ipad to give it more features. (you can somewhat multitask with it now but it's still a chore)

I ended up buying a wireless keyboard to take notes since I hate the touchscreen.

it might be worth it if you jailbreak and get a bunch of fun apps and make it into a giant fancy gameboy of such.

It scores 10/10 in the cool factor but that's about it. I would gladly trade you my Ipad if you can give me a laptop in the same price range.

In Sum. It's a fancy toy that's not very practical in my sense. If you are concerned about weight, the netbook industry is dropping fast, it wouldn't be long before you can snag one for sub 3 if not cheaper.

Sorry I know I'm writing in fragments right now. (got an hour left to study before my last final. Wish me luck!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:13 pm 

Spent about two hours trying to get pictures of our kitchen remodel onto the damn thing for my dad to check out. You'd think I could simply drag them off a thumb drive or even, god forbid, go directly from the laptop to the Ipad via USB. Nope.

Had to put the images on my dad's Mac desktop, then figure out how to transfer them to the Ipad (apparently this simple function requires Itunes). Actually I didn't even figure it out; His Itunes didn't have a 'photos' folder, but I eventually crossed my fingers and hit 'sync' and magically the photos appeared after a few tries. It also dumped all his music and podcasts on the Ipad, and since I don't know how to work the super-simple common sense Apple GUI, I have no idea how to remove the stuff he doesn't want.

Even though the Apps I've downloaded are all free, multiple prompts came up for me to authorize licensing on either the Ipad or the Mac (still unsure which) in order to do something with the Apps. For all I know I just bought a million dollars worth of Apple products...I kinda hope I did so I can smash them all into a billion non-refundable, non-user repairable pieces.

He got the pictures though so, umm, mission complete I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:48 pm 

I still want one though .. gen 1 or 2. I want the wife to be able to Skype from it so she doesn't have to hide out on my computer, and something for the rugrats to play games on or watch netflix on. Gen 1 or 2, and I know Gen 1 doesnt have the forward facing camera for Skype.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am 

Well, I suppose if you have a few good uses for it planned, and aren't expecting it to be like a laptop where you can install whatever you want on it, (and are also willing to shell out the $$), then it wouldn't be bad for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:00 am 

Sorry, the thread is a little old, but you might want to look into the various Android tablets that are out now and are coming out this year. Android is a much more open mobile OS. I have an android phone and copying images over is a breeze, I can even sideload apps if I want. I don't have to sync with iTunes and mess with that crap. No matter how big a fan of Apple someone is, if you dig deep enough, you'll find their experience with iTunes is not ideal. They just get used to dealing with moving things into iTunes, letting it do its auto-organize thing, and spitting out what iTunes wants to spit out.

I'm not saying Android is perfect, but it lets you do so much, and that's without rooting it (rooting is like jailbreaking an apple product). You can do so much, you don't even need to root. Enjoy your wifi, your hotspot access, enjoy your Flash content, load PDFs and images and music. Play your emulators. Google doesn't care, they let you do it!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:17 pm 
Eagle
Eagle

gel wrote:
Sorry, the thread is a little old, but you might want to look into the various Android tablets that are out now and are coming out this year. Android is a much more open mobile OS. I have an android phone and copying images over is a breeze, I can even sideload apps if I want. I don't have to sync with iTunes and mess with that crap. No matter how big a fan of Apple someone is, if you dig deep enough, you'll find their experience with iTunes is not ideal. They just get used to dealing with moving things into iTunes, letting it do its auto-organize thing, and spitting out what iTunes wants to spit out.

I'm not saying Android is perfect, but it lets you do so much, and that's without rooting it (rooting is like jailbreaking an apple product). You can do so much, you don't even need to root. Enjoy your wifi, your hotspot access, enjoy your Flash content, load PDFs and images and music. Play your emulators. Google doesn't care, they let you do it!

This is Win!

iTunes drives me nuts. I already had my iPhone when Android came out, but that will be my next phone (especially since the iPhone doesn't do well with leftys).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]