Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: My yearly - I'm thinking of buying a console - thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, this time I'm REALLY gonna do it.

Xbox 1

PS 4

what should i buy? kids want games (must be able to play shooters and JUST DANCE type games).

k go (and thanks!)

http://www.thehandsondad.com

Post subject: Re: My yearly - I'm thinking of buying a console - thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

I have the same question. I've always had (and still do have) an Xbox 360, and am inclined to go with another since my accounts are set up, I'm familiar with the usability, etc. The potential to stream local TV through PS Vue was enticing, but preliminary research indicates it's an extra $50/month for what I can get through Sling for $20.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:19 pm 

The PS4 Pro seems pretty interesting. I'd suggest researching their AR and VR capabilities before picking a console as that seems right around the corner if not here already.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:55 am 

I will admit to bias 1st, but will give my as-much-as-possible unbiased opinions...I have owned every Xbox version to come out except for the 1S as I am waiting on Project Scorpio. All consoles are pretty similar now and all of these will display HDR graphics. Now my bias...I have owned every Xbox console except for the 1S as Xbox had the games I wanted to play more than the PS4.

My console history: Pong, Atari VCS, Atari 800 PC, Nintendo Famicon, NES, Sega Genesis, Playstation, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 1

PS4 and PS4 Pro

VR gaming will be available for both Sony Consoles, however if you are willing to spend more than double for all the accessories necessary for VR Gaming, go for the PS4 pro...however, my call on VR. It is NOT ready for prime time. People are suffering VR sickness after only 20 minutes of gaming with the illness lasting hours afterward. The Sony VR is also lower in resolution if compared to Oculus, Samsung Galaxy VR, and HTV Vive. Now if I were to get one of these, it would be HTC Vive, better reviews and the controllers appear to just work intuitively.

PS4 basic - good games, has all genres, does have optional camera and hand wands that do allow for different types of games...dancing games require the optional camera accessory and I believe you show up on the screen.

PS4 Pro...supposedly 4K gaming, though most games so far are NOT being rendered in native 4k...most likely 2k and then upscaled to fit. As this does NOT have a 4K Blu-Ray and unless you are paying for the top-line internet, you will not be streaming in 4K either. Not sure this one is worth the price as the PS4 basic will play the same games.

Now, the only game that migh push me to by a PS4 Pro is Detroit: Become Human by Quantic Dream...these are the vids that are kind of pushing me to get a Sony console for the first time in decades

and then the official Kara tease for the game

finally the full official trailer for the game

Xbox 1 and Xbox 1S

Xbox 1 - good games, has all genres, every shooter available for the PS4 is available here however some exclusives (COD games get levels 1st, Destiny has missions/weapons/gear unavailable on Xbox 1) are hitting the PS4 1st then Xbox 1 and vice versa. I prefer the shooters availabe on the Xbox as I am a HUGE Halo fan. If you are wanting dance games, get a Kinect...I think the Kinect cameras are superior to what Sony puts out for their console.

Xbox 1S - This is the ONLY console to come equipped with a 4K Blu Ray player. This is ALMOST enough for me to get one, however waiting on Project Scorpio. This console is basically an Xbox 1 with a 4K Blu Ray player. Same games as the Xbox 1.

Now the one game I CANNOT WAIT FOR on Xbox 1
CRACKDOWN 3...I was ADDICTED to the original Crackdown game that game out for the original Xbox open world style game that was AWESOME.

Hope this helps even if only a little
Best I can say, is look at he available games, find the games you WANT to play, read some reviews, then pull the trigger. Get the console everyone will use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:02 pm 

I have a hard time with choosing one over the other. I have both consoles (and will be getting the Nintendo Switch next spring). Like Jinxter, I have an absurdly extensive history with consoles (Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Gamecube, PS2, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo Wii U, PS4, Xbox One), so I feel that I have a fairly wide range of experience with them in general.

The XBOX One and the PS4 both have both have some great exclusives, and they're both pretty comparable in terms of the look and feel of the games. Either system will give you equal selection of shooting games and dance games. Since you can get a virtually identical gaming experience on either one, with the exception of a few exclusives, I'm going to focus less on the games, than I am on the quality of life stuff.

Why you should get an XBOX One:

-The UI. In my opinion, the UI is way better than the PS4's crossbar UI. I think it's easier to navigate, to pin things you use often to the home screen, and so on.
-Kinect. On the 360, I would have put this in the con category. Talking to the Kinect feels great, works surprisingly well, and it makes Dance games a blast to play. Way better than the Playstation Camera.
-The Controller. This is a matter of preference to some extent, but I would strongly argue that the xbox controller is more comfortable to use, due to the fact that the analog sticks are offset (left stick is higher, right stick is lower). With the way the PS4 controller sticks are set up, positioned in the center of the controller, you have to rotate your forearms ever so slightly inward, which starts to feel not so great after a while.
-Xbox live. Both consoles will require you to subscribe to their online service. Of the two, Xbox live is more stable, virtually never down, and has never been hacked, leaking my info (I'm looking at you Sony).

Why you should get a PS4:

-PS4 Pro. This is arguably the best reason to get a PS4. The PS4 Pro just came out, and it makes games way prettier than the xbox one. This will not change until the Xbox Scorpio comes out Christmas 2017.
-Controller batteries. The PS4 has a built in rechargable battery. By default, the xbox controller requires AA batteries. The rechargeable battery for the xbox controller is sold separately for another $25(ish).
-Exclusives. I think the Uncharted series on the PS4 is one of the best series of all time, and it's not on Xbox (yes, I bought both consoles just to play Uncharted).
-PS VR. As of right now, the Xbox has no VR option, while the PS does. From what I hear, Microsoft is working on that (look up Minecraft+hololens if you haven't seen it already) but as of right now, PS4 is the only console with VR.

My verdict:

Of the two, I find that I play the Xbox more, mostly because of the people I know that also play it (Ecterris, Ismot, and a smattering of friends and family). Both systems are excellent, and they'll both get you what you're looking for. In either case, make sure to look into what is required on either one to take full advantage of the JUST DANCE game, as you may need to buy additional hardware to really enjoy it (PS Camera/Xbox Kinect).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So both require a subscription? That seems weird -- what am I paying for if I also have to pay for my games?

http://www.thehandsondad.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:35 am 

It's a bit like a wow sub, in that you're paying for server maintenance, tech support, etc. All the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to let you play online.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:37 am 

You only need the sub if you want to play online - offline play is free

Last edited by Irminsul on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:37 pm 

When I first found out that I would have to fork out an additional fee to play online with Xbox (the original) I first balked...I was like BS, I already pay for internet, why am I essentially paying twice? However, with all that they do, maintaining server space, apps (think youtube, crunchyroll, amazon, hulu, etc..), games with gold. It really does pay for itself. I cannot tell how many free games I have gotten just for being a Gold Member...games I still play to this day.

Also AC, keep in mind, Microsoft will be releasing their next console next year. It is being called Project Scorpio and it WILL be the most powerful console ever released. The stats alone, make me, in a word...drool.

If going this year, I can see nothing wrong with choosing either PS4 or PS4 Pro or Xbox 1 or Xbox 1S. If you have a 4K TV, I would recommend PS4 Pro or Xbox 1S. Keep in mind only the Xbox 1S has a 4K Blu-Ray player built in. PS4 Pro will be doing 4K gaming (though most games are going to native render at 2K and then be upscaled. As for weather or not anyone will be able to tell the difference, don't know. DO know this however, if your do have a 4K TV, or are upgrading, hopefully you went OLED or will.

To other articles you may find interesting:

4K Ultra HD UHD vs 1080p and Upscaling

Why Ultra 4K HD TVs are still stupid

All said, 4K IS the near future (keep in mind Japan is already doing a native 8K broadcast channel) now since no one has an 8K set as yet, they have special viewing locations. They broadcasted several days of Olympics during the Rio Games as well. I also saw one of these beasts in Japan last January and plan on seeing these again this coming Jan.

Lastly AC, buy the one with the games you WANT/NEED to play and I am sure you and your family will be happy.

HAPPY GAMING!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:43 pm 

I had both xbox 360 and ps3. Now using the PS4 exclusively, I like the interface, it is easy to browse and use the apps.
Just beware of Destiny. For some reason it is highly addicting to adult gamers. I play at least 2-3 hours nightly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also have a ps4. I like it. For most of the time I've had it I didn't have a subscription to the PSN. I don't play multiplayer games anymore (old and slow :( ) so I don't really need it. The kids mostly still use the ps3 for minecraft and little big planet 2 and that is still free online play.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:34 pm 

Ashman wrote:
I also have a ps4. I like it. For most of the time I've had it I didn't have a subscription to the PSN. I don't play multiplayer games anymore (old and slow :( ) so I don't really need it. The kids mostly still use the ps3 for minecraft and little big planet 2 and that is still free online play.

I understand, Ashman. Sometimes old age and treachery will beat youth and skill. But not often. I spend a lot of hours playing online on PSN. The one thing I like about destiny is ability to play both participate in PvP games as well as play socially as a fireteam in a raid or a strike. They even have a top tier PvP match called the Trials of Osiris that will have you throwing your controller at the wall. There is a lot of cheating going on using lag switches to keep your opponent from killing you. Some people will even stoop to Dos attacks to win matches. And in ToO you have to win 8 matches with no losses to achieve high rewards and status.

Sorry to go off topic. But whatever you go with, be prepared if you choose to subscribe to online access. Some of the social games can get very competitive and there is some negative social behavior that you may have to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:13 pm 

I have enjoyed watching from the my PC, when my youngest is playing with his Destiny Clan "Golden Rabbit Game Breakers" with the tag "9999" on Destiny (Xbox Live). They have a LOT of fun completing quests, crucibles, and vanguard strikes.
I still play BF4 with my Oldest on Xbox 1 and have been steadily building up his Soldier to help unlock weapons.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]