It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Defiance NDA Lifted
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm 

I've been playing this for a while in beta, and I thought that I'd share my thoughts now that the NDA is lifted. First off, for those of you who don't know, this is a third person shooter, similar to the feel of games like Mass Effect, but as an MMO. Starting 13 days after the launch of the game is a television show by the same name on Syfy. Events in the game and the TV show will supposedly affect the way things unfold in each, although I haven't seen a lot of specifics about this. Still, it's a pretty cool concept regardless.

As for the game itself, I was pretty put off at first, but with each beta event I've become more and more impressed. After this last weekend I think I'm actually going to pre-order this and play it for a bit, as it's shaping up quite nicely. You don't really pick classes, just basic a basic back story for your character. As you play, you can equip any two weapons at once that you desire from a fairly standard list of types (shotgun, pistol, assault rifle, smg, lmg, sniper rifle), with a few exceptions, like guns that infect your target huge boils from which alien parasites burst out and start running damaging nearby targets. As you use a particular weapon, you become more proficient in its use. If you want to snipe, then pick up a sniper rifle and stick with it, eventually you'll get perks and bonuses to make you better at it.

The game starts off fairly predictably, with a tutorial area, leading into a bottle necked beginner area, but quickly lets you off the leash, and once it does, the game really comes into its own. You very quickly get a quad to drive around on, and it is absolutely necessary, because even the starting zone is absolutely massive. I haven't seen any stats about how big areas are exactly, but for those of you who have played wow, I would say the starting zone is at least 10 times the size of something like elwynn forest. For me, half the fun was driving around on my quad and just checking stuff out - I swear if they implement the ability to do stunts on your vehicles, there will be a subset of players that only play to drive around, it's a lot of fun to hit your nitro and fly over hilltops.

As for the combat, it's solid, this is no shooting sim by any means - no bullet drop, etc. Very arcade like, but fun enough that you'll want to keep at it. Being a shooting game, there aren't really any sort of the standard mmo fetch type quests, it's more of the action game type pacing - alien bugs are overrunning this farm, go clear out their nests. Miners are being held hostage by raiders, go free them and shut down their turret gun defenses. That sort of thing. While all of this is happening, area specific events happen frequently, which revolve around trying to salvage materials from large chunks of rock which fall from the sky, called 'Arkfall events'.

Here is a video of one -

These events can actually be completed solo in my experience, but scale in difficulty as more players enter the area. Some of them were supremely difficult with huge groups - I had to hop on my vehicle and drive away from one to restock on ammunition, then drove back and jumped back in.
---------------------------------

This is getting pretty damn lengthy, so I'm going to stop there, but if anyone has questions, let me know and I'll be happy to talk more about it.

Irm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]