It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: buying a Wii
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, I think Im gonna break down and buy a Wii for the kids (and, yes, me). Anyone able to suggest a package or what I should order (amazon, i think) -- 2 wireless controllers? 4? any upgrades or add ons i will want to have? what's a good game for me to get for ME, since I will be getting the kids every Mario everything ever created.

http://www.thehandsondad.com

Post subject: Re: buying a Wii
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 am 

Well, supposed to be a next gen Wii coming out this Fall. Definitely for Xmas season. Might be worth waiting.

The kids love Wii Sports, and the one with the water skiing on it (forget the name). The sports games are goon on Wii. Mario Kart rocks.

Get 4 controllers. Most of the add-ons like the tennis racket, baseball bat etc are not worth it .. interferes with the communication between controller and receiver.

Wii Fit Plus is good, some fun things to do on it as well as the aerobics, etc..

I mainly played Mario Kart til I got a PS3 .. Graphics on a Wii are sub par and one of the Lego Wii games (Indiana Jones was so pixelated I couldn't even stand to play it). The new gen Wii will likely have HD graphics which would be worth the wait in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm with fubar, if there is a new wii coming out, I'd wait. the graphics on the older one are way out of date. I've had one since they were new and Tori and I did play it a fair amount initially, but then we bought a ps3 and never looked back. Tori very rarely plays it anymore.

The only upsides to the wii are the mario/zelda games and the motion controllers. now that both of the other consoles have motion controllers, that leaves just the mario/zelda games. for some that might be enough to be worth it ( I like playing both series myself), but there are plenty of really good family type games on the other systems, plus, you get the best games that you would enjoy too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm 

Wii U will release before the year end shopping time period...probably will time it for the Christmas season. If this IS the way you want to go, I would recommend pre-ordering it from Amazon or similar and have it shipped directly to you so you can avoid the inevitable crowds and sellouts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm 

I would highly recommend getting the deluxe one. For $50 extra, you get a charging cradle for the controller, and stand for the system, 32GB of internal storage instead of 8, it comes bundled with a game (Nintendo Land), and it's black, which is a plus for me, because the white controllers tend to discolor overtime from grimy hands.

For convenience, here are some retailers as well, although amazon appears to be out of stock atm. I pre-ordered mine yesterday morning right after the Nintendo conference, and I would recommend doing the same if you want to get one without standing in line for hours. :P

Gamestop - http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/ ... set/104794

Bestbuy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintendo+-+ ... 8807628374

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Cons ... ords=wii+u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:05 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

i'd wait ac. here's the info: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/09/13/news-wii-u-release-date-and-price-revealed
also have you thought about an xbox with the kinect? my nieces and nephew love coming over and playing that. they're getting pretty cheap now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]