It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Brink - new FPS from Splash Damage
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm 

I have to agree with Yahtzee...this game can be fun, however, it doesn't really do anything different. The Parkour movement system really doesn't add ANYTHING to the game play. Parkour in 1st person doesn't really do anything for gameplay that I have found...other than allowing the lighter classes to get somewhere quicker, it adds nothing. Get you in my crosshairs you still die. This game is, to me, somewhat of a let down...thought it would be better, but should have listened to my instincts and NOT bought it. Here is hoping that BF3 lives up to its vids...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 pm 

Well Yahtzee does what Yahtzee does, which is blows small things out of proportion and doesn't even talk about anything that matters. He can be funny, but his reviews are more like references, "oh hey I sort of experienced that! AHAHAHA YAHTZEE"

Silhouettes are important parts of games, but let me tell you I can tell where DANE is at any time. He's the huge guy with a minigun and cowboy hat. Can't miss that, Yahtzee, even with a periscope attached to your head.

Speaking of periscopes, Mirror's Edge worked fine. I enjoyed that game and it works in Brink. I always love 3rd person movement more, but that's beside the point. Jinxter's comment about it not adding anything; I definitely disagree. Perhaps you haven't found any use for it, and it's true you'll shoot what's in your crosshair, but that's like saying you'll shoot a soldier in TF2 if he's in your crosshair. What if he rocket jumps out of the way, over something you can't reach now? The same is true in Brink. It's for traversal of terrain. If you use it poorly (again if you rocket jump all the time in TF2 that's also bad), you're doing it wrong. Use it to scale large walls, to make a jump you might have missed otherwise, and to get to higher ground; we've learned this in TF2. So what's the point of the parkour moves in Brink? To give yourself an advantage. I don't need to explain the advantages of height, or being somewhere the enemy doesn't expect, or taking a shorter route than another guy.

The game still hasn't fully taken off yet. I have seen quite a few of us in Brink, but not often in multiplayer. I agree with a few things Yahtzee said in general, but they are also by no means game breaking. Unlocking weapons is quick, and while some SMGs are redundant, there are a lot of good weapons to try, to suit your taste. Maybe it's too many and Splash Damage should've taken a cue from Valve by releasing the game with less weapons, like TF2, and then update it with more later.

Fun game, and I hope to see more people playing it. Teamwork is more important in Brink than it is in TF2 even, part of its difficulty in getting people to just pick it up and play. Also, I hope you were taking shots every time I mentioned TF2.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:04 pm 

Well...I will have to give the Parkour elements more play, but, I have used it and haven't really found any advantage, but we have different play styles and I have found it to be mostly unnecessary though I did find to be better than the system used in Mirror's Edge. (I actually found Mirror's Edge to be a broken game that had some poorly designed levels which DID not use the Parkour system as it could have. There were too many areas where the Parkour did NOT work where it should have and limited what you could do in the levels. Too many unclimbable posts...)

Back to Brink...too many levels where 1 or 2 players could totally lock down and area...granted I was one of those 2 at times, and we all know how AWESOME I am :roll: , but if they can balance these out, I think the game will get more play.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:13 pm 
Renegade Heroes
Renegade Heroes

thanks for the info jinx and gel, think I will wait till they streamline the multiplayer before taking the plunge

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2